New to linux

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

New to linux

Postby Concepts on Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:14 pm

Hi, I'm new to Linux and installed Ubuntu a few days ago and seen a thread about Mint so I just installed it because its more user friendly being I'm new, my question is I see my primary windows partition on my Linux desktop and was wondering why it is there and how can i remove it or is it safe to remove it without losing my windows on my other drive.

I took a screen shot but there is no option to upload it on here to show you what i mean.

Thanks for any help.
Concepts
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: New to linux

Postby antiquexray on Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:31 pm

Concepts wrote:Hi, I'm new to Linux and installed Ubuntu a few days ago and seen a thread about Mint so I just installed it because its more user friendly being I'm new, my question is I see my primary windows partition on my Linux desktop and was wondering why it is there and how can i remove it or is it safe to remove it without losing my windows on my other drive.

I took a screen shot but there is no option to upload it on here to show you what i mean.

Thanks for any help.
Go to the Control Center > mintDesktop. Unclick the Mounted Volumes.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Concepts on Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:46 pm

That took one of the drive icons off of the desktop but i want to completely remove it if possible.

I have a 320GB Sata drive with my main os system which is Vista ultimate on it, then I have a 160GB IDE drive I have installed Mint, I want to safely remove being able to see my windows vista drive from my linux desktop if that is possible, I'm unsure how its even on there to be honest unless I did something wrong. any other tips?
Concepts
Level 1
Level 1

Postby speaker219 on Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:45 pm

Go in the menu, and open mintDesktop, in the settings, uncheck "mounted volumes". hit ok and close out. go back to the mint menu open "mintdisk" uncheck "show links for mounted partitions"
next time you restart your computer, you shouldn't have any icons =)
speaker219
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Concepts on Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:54 pm

speaker219 wrote:Go in the menu, and open mintDesktop, in the settings, uncheck "mounted volumes". hit ok and close out. go back to the mint menu open "mintdisk" uncheck "show links for mounted partitions"
next time you restart your computer, you shouldn't have any icons =)

That worked ty very much :)
Concepts
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions