Sound fades to nothing

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rainmaker1971

Sound fades to nothing

Post by rainmaker1971 »

Hello, I was wondering what might be the problem. I listen to audio without headphones and everything is great, as soon as I plug in my headphones, my sound fades to a whisper and then to nothing. From there I have to reboot to get the sound back. I believe it is ALSA and pulseaudio installed. Linux mint is the only os I have installed at this time, Works Awesome except for this. Not sure if this is a driver issue or what, I will keep checking, just wanted to know if this was a problem for anyone else?

many thanks,
rainmaker
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Sound fades to nothing

Post by remoulder »

What happens if you plug in the headphones before you start the audio? Also when you plug in the headphones, have you tried going into Sound Preferences and switching the output connection to headphones and/or adjusting the volume on the application tab?
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
rainmaker1971

Post by rainmaker1971 »

Hey there, thanks for the answer Mikeyb, I tried switching the output to headphone, but don't have that setting in the preferences when I rightclick on the speaker icon. I haven't tried with starting with headphones in. I will give that a try and let you know..
Many thanks,
rainmaker1971
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

rainmaker1971 wrote:I tried switching the output to headphone, but don't have that setting in the preferences
You have to go to the Output tab then the Connector dropdown at the bottom

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
rainmaker1971

Post by rainmaker1971 »

When I start system up with headphones in, I have no sound at all, I take them out and still no sound. I have no headphone setting.

Thanks,
Rainmaker1971
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

Can you open a terminal and enter

Code: Select all

dmesg | grep -i hda
and post back the output

Also enter this

amixer scontrols
and check if you have an entry for Headphones. If so enter

alsamixer
Use the arrow keys to move left/right and to increase/decrease volume. If the headphone says MM, move to it and press m to un-mute it.

rainmaker1971

Post by rainmaker1971 »

Thanks again, I went into the terminal, no headphones listed, but when I did the alsamixer command, there were 2 speakers that were mm, I changed them and tried to play some music, still nothing, but that is really cool about that command.. I remember there was another post in the newbie section that mentioned that, but I didn't know about the m mm..
I will reboot and try again..

Many thanks again,

Return to “Beginner Questions”