Skype Crashing when testing video

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
joedoozer

Skype Crashing when testing video

Post by joedoozer »

I did a search for this topic and didn't find an answer that helped me.....so here goes.

Going to be swapping my wifes laptop over to Linux tonight. Using mine as a test first. Installed skype through the package manager, and installed cheese as well. I used cheese just to verify the camera was working and the drivers were installed. When I right click the icon and go to Options - Video Devices - and then test webcam. The light on the cam blinks a few times, and then Skype crashes.

I originally thought it was a driver problem, but after testing it with cheese I know its not. Has anyone else had this problem?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Skype Crashing when testing video

Post by remoulder »

joedoozer wrote:Installed skype through the package manager
Skype is no longer available in the medibuntu repo, which version did you install? There are some issues with webcams on the beta version currently on the skype site.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
joedoozer

Post by joedoozer »

Skype 2.0.0.72, from the software manager. I needed to install something through the package manager first; because Skype had a yellow icon next to it.

Another note....we have a Lexmark X1155 printer we got when we were in Germany, and can't find a driver for it.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

There is a newer version available on the skype site http://www.skype.com/intl/en/download/s ... ux/choose/ but as mentioned, some users have reported webcams not working with that version though it works for me. Other than that you could try the skype-static package. I would completely remove the version you have installed, delete the .skype folder in your home, then re-install (a version) and try again.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
joedoozer

Post by joedoozer »

I downloaded both version. But unless it is in the software manager or package manager, I have no idea how to install it. I have tried, but it just never works.
rich_roast

Post by rich_roast »

When I installed Skype a night or two ago it was from their website because somehow I couldn't find it on any of the repos for reasons that I've not investigated, but fwiw the install went flawlessly using the Ubuntu 8.10+ package they offer on the page linked to by mikeyb.

As far as webcam compatibility is concerned Skype is notorious, at least for me, insofar as it is blithely unaware of v4l compatibility libraries; see this thread for a possible fix although I begin to suspect it might not be enough (given the flash-flash then no-beans behaviour); it would be worthwhile posting exactly which brand and model of webcam we are talking about here using e.g. lsusb for a usb device, or even simply referring to its documentation.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

rich_roast wrote:I couldn't find it on any of the repos for reasons that I've not investigated,
Info: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1352648

rich_roast

Post by rich_roast »

Interesting, thanks for the link.

Return to “Beginner Questions”