Install Mint with Vista?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Install Mint with Vista?

Postby MikeB on Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:07 pm

I'm new to Linux but wanted to dual boot Mint with Vista (already installed).
I've got 2 sata hdd's--120g and 320g with Vista on the first,120g drive and just some B.U. stuff on the 320g.
I would prefer to put Mint on the second HD(320g) but have plenty of room on the Vista HD if that would be better.
Will Grub boot Vista if I let it overight the MBR, or should I put Mint on the empty HD and install Grub to the boot partition there and choose Mint from the bios?
I guess what I'm asking is: what's the best way to go without messing up the Vista install?
Thanks for any help...Mike
MikeB
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Matteran on Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:52 pm

I have a dual boot with Vista. I just installed Vista first, and then Mint second. Everything worked itself out.

If you don't want the full 320GB of your second drive to be used, you can just partition only a segment of it ext3 for Mint, and leave the rest as NTFS.

I did have one problem in second thought. But you just load up the GNOME Partition Manager from the MintMenu and make sure that both the ext3 Partition and NTFS Partition are flagged as "Boot" partitions. I'm not totally sure, but I'm assuming that that writes the GRUB to look at both partitions for potential bootable OSs, instead of just the ext3 partition.

Anyone correct me if I'm wrong.
Matteran
Level 2
Level 2

Postby MikeB on Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:57 pm

Matteran wrote:I have a dual boot with Vista. I just installed Vista first, and then Mint second. Everything worked itself out.

If you don't want the full 320GB of your second drive to be used, you can just partition only a segment of it ext3 for Mint, and leave the rest as NTFS.

I did have one problem in second thought. But you just load up the GNOME Partition Manager from the MintMenu and make sure that both the ext3 Partition and NTFS Partition are flagged as "Boot" partitions. I'm not totally sure, but I'm assuming that that writes the GRUB to look at both partitions for potential bootable OSs, instead of just the ext3 partition.

Anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks for the info. Matteran.
BTW Did you put Vista and Mint on the same HD ?
And did you install Grub to the Mint or the Vista partition ?
I just didn't want to trash the Vista MBR and wasn't sure whether Grub would just work and detect Vista or what.
MikeB
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions