[SOLVED]Screen resoluton issue

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tatelax

[SOLVED]Screen resoluton issue

Post by tatelax »

I recently installed mint on my computer. It all worked great until I install World of Warcraft using WINE. I opened up WoW and then my screen resolution changed and now everything is too big. It only fixes when I plug my laptop into my TV. I have gone under the display setting and tried all of the setting but none of them work. Can someone please help me. Thanks! :D

PS: I am running version seven of Mint. I am running an IBM thinkpad laptop. Its pretty old. 512 mb ram. Bout all I know.

I just reinstalled it....np
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
FrozenNorth

Resolution

Post by FrozenNorth »

Welcome to mint! A few things here, what kind of video card are you using? Nvidia? ATi? These are good things to know.

If you are using Nvidia; bring up a terminal and see if you have nvidia-settings installed. easiest way to do that is too make sure you are running as root and type: nvidia-settings. Either a cool little menu will come up and via the tabs there you can save a new display resolution. Is very important you do this as root, otherwise your settings will not be saved, when you reboot all will go back to big and ugly. It's pretty much the same with ATi, however you will want to install/use Envy. Which is available in the repo's or via software install, again make sure all settings changes are done while root in order to save you settings.

A little reminder; when posting a newb question, more informations is better than a little info. The more you post about the version of mint you are running, what hardware you have i.e. video card type/mem, cpu, physical mem, etc. The easier it is for the group to help muck out an answer for you, instead of wasting a post asking for that information. No brow-beating here, we've all made the same mistakes before. Take care, hope the info helps.

~Cheers

FrozenNorth
DruKe

Re: Screen resoluton issue

Post by DruKe »

If you are unsure what type of video adapter you have open a terminal and type

Code: Select all

lspci
Look for ATI, NVIDIA or INTEL for the graphics adapter.

If you're unsure how to run as root, type

Code: Select all

sudo
before a command.

You say you've tried changing the settings in the display properties, is it giving you an error?

Return to “Beginner Questions”