[no bug?] mintupdate doesn't play well with multiple users

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Smiff2

[no bug?] mintupdate doesn't play well with multiple users

Post by Smiff2 »

mintupdate seems to fail if run on under any account other than the first which ran it, something about temporary file permissions.
after deleting temp files it worked ok under another account.
a small issue but took me a while to figure out (only after running from commandline and watching output).

thanks.

edit: oh i remeber why this does matter - if you want normal users to be able to apply updates and you create their accounts after the first account (which is very likely) and you have several user accounts.
I think you need to store mintupdate's temporary files under /home/user/ or something ?

whilst i'm here can i suggest a feature: allow admins to lock down the preferences of mintupate, so users can only install category 1 or 2 updates, for example, and cannot change this.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: mintupdate doesn't play well with multiple users

Post by remoulder »

Smiff2 wrote:mintupdate seems to fail if run on under any account other than the first which ran it, something about temporary file permissions.
Smiff2, are you saying it doesn't run on login except under the original user a/c, or you can't run it manually? It should be in the startup applications of each user and load with that users credentials, however if you try to open it it should ask for the users password as it needs to update with root permissions. Each user needs to be in the sudoers file in order to have sudo rights.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
Smiff2

Post by Smiff2 »

it tries to run on every account, but it silently fails (except the first account which works ok).
if you then try to run it from console, you can see its a permissions issue in /tmp which i assume is why it was failing to appear on login.
i think.. i'm quite new to Mint8 sorry, but there definitely seems to be an issue here.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

Do the other accounts you are trying have automatic login enabled?

In order to help you understand how it works, and answer your other suggestion from the OP, please read this post from clem.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

Thank you for reporting a bug in Linux Mint. Unfortunately I cannot reproduce your problem, so it's likely that you've changed something as root (using sudo) that has messed up your configuration. If you can reproduce the bug in a fresh install (probably a virtual machine, or a new user account) then please detail the steps necessary, including any extra software you added and all software versions. Please also check out the Linux Mint Forums, where there are many more people available to help out with diagnosing any problems you have. You might also like to check out this article: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html This is a standard response, so it may not be entirely appropriate.

I tried as many different ways I could think of to break it using multiple users (since this would seem to be a critical bug). On normal user accounts the authorisation understandably fails (though doesn't provide much useful feedback). On admin user accounts, the gui is closed on the other admin's account before being opened on the current, no conflict. Please provide a reproducable series of steps to trigger the issue.
Smiff2

Post by Smiff2 »

sorry i'll try to get back to you when i have more time. sorry!
Smiff2

Post by Smiff2 »

very sorry i had to give those netbooks back before i could recreate this properly. maybe on my next mint install i'll try to make notes on what i did. thanks/sorry.

Return to “Beginner Questions”