Linux Mint Newbie-Making Linux Mint 8 Live CD Errors -Solved

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ricardo777

Linux Mint Newbie-Making Linux Mint 8 Live CD Errors -Solved

Post by Ricardo777 »

Hello. I'm Ricardo & I wanted to try Linux Mint (v8) Live CD as IMO, I think it seems Best (better then normal Ubuntu). So, on my brother's desktop computer, I downloaded the Linux Mint ISO file & installed InfraRecorder. After the iso was downloaded, I put in the cd-r in the drive & launched the program. When in the program with the iso selected & write speed at 1x, I burned the iso to the cd disc. While it was running, it gave a warning about MDA Test not being done (or something). Very minor. Then after, it continued with the Write. After it was done writing, the cd came out.

Then with my Lenovo S10 Netbook & CD-Rom External Driver, loaded the disc & restarted the Netbook computer. After restarting, It loaded the disc. It seemed as normal disc reading/loading. The cd loading processes took very long and slow.

During that time at one point came an error. Then when Linux Mint Desktop loaded, the taskbar was not there, nor loaded at all. Everything was there, but no taskbar. The visual effects worked, though.

So, then I restarted Linux Mint & the cd. After restart It took long again, then gave the same boot error & continued to load. This time, the desktop loaded & the taskbar, but no start sound loaded & a few error msg windows showed up. The taskbar menu area was gone, the icon for mint's Home & My Computer was of no img picture, but a blank page icon. So, was the other icons. When I went to shutdown, the menu icons were X marks. So, it seems like it got worser.

I don't know what I did wrong :( . I probably should have downloaded & ran the ISO Burner I am used to from before & not InfraRecorder.

I have Windows XP (SP3) 32bit Home Edition on my Lenovo S10 Netbook computer with 1.60GHz & .99GB RAM.

Please help. I will probably try again with more bought CD-r discs & different ISO Burner.

I have the pics attached.

Thanks. Take care & God bless :) .
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Ricardo777

Re: Linux Mint Newbie - Making Linux Mint 8 Live CD Errors :( !!

Post by Ricardo777 »

Here are more...
rob2uk

Post by rob2uk »

When you boot from the livecd, hit a key when it says "automatic boot in...", then use the arrow keys to highlight 'the line that ends with '(compatibility mode)'.

Hit enter, and see if it boots
Ricardo777

Post by Ricardo777 »

Here are some more...
Ricardo777

Post by Ricardo777 »

More...
Ricardo777

Post by Ricardo777 »

...Last 3...
Ricardo777

Re: Linux Mint 8 Live USB (SD actually) is more better/easier :)

Post by Ricardo777 »

Never mind guys :) . It was figured out yesterday night (To tired then to post ;) ). I prayed & I did a little looking in to see about the other methods (i.e. LiveSD or LiveUSB, etc.) of loading Linux Mint. I was seeing about making a my 2GB sd card Live as it could store the data of that iso. Seems like all were saying that boot from sd was maybe not possible, as most Bios boot won't reconize it in the Laptop/Netbook sd slot. But you can trick your computer with a card reader. So, then I saw about making Linux Mint on usb. I came across this page for the software [Link]. So, I downloaded it & it worked. Literally a few clicks. Select the ISO Image file, Select where you want to extract Linux Mint files to, & that's it. Then continue & let it do it's thing till it gives you the ok to reboot. Thanks to the Lord. Me, IMHO, believe that this method & way is much, much easier.

This post thread is solved & here for any other Newbies trying to get a Live Linux Mint (or any other Linux distro). I know, that you already have helpful other on this, but I just posted it anyways for other quick infoers not patient enough. Take care & God bless :) .
Last edited by Ricardo777 on Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ricardo777

Post by Ricardo777 »

... :) ...
rob2uk

Post by rob2uk »

To avoid confusion, I'm just gonna point out that you mean .iso, not IOS :wink:
Ricardo777

Post by Ricardo777 »

One question I do have is that if I was to Install Linux Mint, will the boot loader program used for this SD Reader also be installed with the OS? Thanks. God bless :) .
Ricardo777

Post by Ricardo777 »

rob2uk wrote:To avoid confusion, I'm just gonna point out that you mean .iso, not IOS :wink:
Ohh :shock: . My mistake. Sorry about that. I knew it was .iso not .IOS, but for some reason I thought other wise :lol: . Thank you :) .
Ricardo777

Post by Ricardo777 »

rob2uk wrote:When you boot from the livecd, hit a key when it says "automatic boot in...", then use the arrow keys to highlight 'the line that ends with '(compatibility mode)'.

Hit enter, and see if it boots
Hey, rob2uk. Sorry for not acknowleging this reply post you made. I guess I was too anxious &/or a little upset about the problem or even the solving of the problem. It probably also maybe could have work that way. Thank you, though. God bless :) .

Return to “Beginner Questions”