Linux with no internet.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Linux with no internet.

Postby allforcarrie on Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:50 pm

I have my laptop that i cannot connect to the local network over here in the middle east how can i download files fro linux with out being connected to the net?.
allforcarrie
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Husse on Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:14 am

how can i download files fro linux with out being connected to the net?.

You can't :)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Boo on Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:47 am

well what you do is download the files on another computer that is connected to the net and then transfer them via cd or a usb thumb drive.

I suspect you are wanting to install extra software or updates for your mint system. this can be a slow and painful process.
so you need to find out the name of the deb package you need (and its dependencies) download them and then transfer then to your own computer, double click on it and hay presto it installs.

eg the fire fox deb file is:
mozilla-firefox_2.0.0.5+1-0ubuntu1_all.deb

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Boo
Level 8
Level 8

Postby scorp123 on Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:30 am

And then there is "AptOnCD" .... Never tried it though. Apparently you can download stuff and then make an installer CD out of it ... e.g. for a machine that doesn't have an Internet connection. You'd need to Google this up.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Postby allforcarrie on Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:29 am

it looks like you need linux w/ internet to make a apt on cd. kind of paradoxal.
allforcarrie
Level 2
Level 2

Postby scorp123 on Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:28 am

allforcarrie wrote: it looks like you need linux w/ internet to make a apt on cd.
In the first step, yes. Obviously. Or where else would you get the packages from? :wink:

allforcarrie wrote: kind of paradoxal.
Nope. Once you got the CD you can install stuff from it e.g. on PC's that don't have Internet ...

So it could work like this: You call a friend back home and tell him to fill a CD with all the goodies (obviously he should have an Ubuntu or Linux Mint installation for that). He fills the CD with the help of "AptonCD" and then sends the CD or DVD to you ...

You then have a CD full of stuff that you can install stuff from ... regardless where you are with your PC.

Quote from the "Apt on CD" web site:

With APTonCD you will can...
Backup
    Backup all downloaded packages (via apt-get, aptitude and synaptic) to restore later.
Transport
    Take with you all your favorite packages, in a removable repository where you can install then all on anytime, anytime.
Download
    Get an entire repository, or a specifc section. Simply point-and-click, and in few time you'll have an CD(s) or DVD(s) with entire main, restricted, universe, multiverse, contrib, etc.
    Share your packages with your friends without Internet conection. Also, send a meta-package for him to install the same set of packages that you have.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Postby allforcarrie on Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:59 pm

would anyone here be interested in makeing me a apt on cd disk? i am willing to pay or trade.
allforcarrie
Level 2
Level 2

Postby cogDis on Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:26 pm

allforcarrie wrote:would anyone here be interested in makeing me a apt on cd disk? i am willing to pay or trade.

Sure! I'll give it a whirl. Gotta give me some idea of what you want tho. I can do a DVD if you can use that with your lappy. Let me know what you are after and I'll whip one up.

All the best, CD
cogDis
Level 1
Level 1

Postby allforcarrie on Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:18 am

sweet. the main thing i want is multi media codecs, stuff like automatix installs. any extras are welcome.
allforcarrie
Level 2
Level 2

Postby cogDis on Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:37 am

Okay. I'll get started on this. Unfortunately I'll be away from my computer for most of the next few days, so I will work on it when I can. In the meantime, if you think of anything else over the course of the weekend, let me know and I will try and include them. Otherwise, I'll just make my best guess and fill up the disc. (give or take :wink:

CD
cogDis
Level 1
Level 1

Postby allforcarrie on Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:15 pm

is it just me or was the mint site down for a couple days?
allforcarrie
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Husse on Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:25 am

Not down - but it is becoming irritatingly slow now and then
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions