[SOLVED]Desktop doesn't exist?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Taabs

[SOLVED]Desktop doesn't exist?

Post by Taabs »

When I try to run Mint 8, all I get on the desktop is a black screen with no icons. Everything else seems to work perfectly, though. I can install new programs, update, and so on. Unlike the other problems I've seen on the board, I can right click the desktop and try to change my background, but nothing happens. Even when I run a LiveCD or LiveUSB, the same thing occurs.

Nothing's in my desktop folder, but when I took screenshots they showed up there. Last time I checked, Ubuntu Hardy Heron worked okay. I'm not really sure what the problem is.

Here's what lspci gives me:
00:00.0 Host bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 651 Host (rev 01)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] Virtual PCI-to-PCI bridge (AGP)
00:02.0 ISA bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS962 [MuTIOL Media IO] (rev 04)
00:02.1 SMBus: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS961/2 SMBus Controller
00:02.5 IDE interface: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 5513 [IDE]
00:02.7 Multimedia audio controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] AC'97 Sound Controller (rev a0)
00:03.0 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.1 Controller (rev 0f)
00:03.1 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.1 Controller (rev 0f)
00:03.2 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.1 Controller (rev 0f)
00:03.3 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 2.0 Controller
00:04.0 Ethernet controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS900 PCI Fast Ethernet (rev 91)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV280 [Radeon 9200 SE] (rev 01)

If anyone could help me, that would be great!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Desktop doesn't exist?

Post by remoulder »

Do you have visual effects enabled? If so try turning them off - last tab on Appearance.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
Taabs

Re: Desktop doesn't exist?

Post by Taabs »

Oh wow, thanks! I thought I'd tried that, but it looks like I didn't. I'm guessing the cause of this was because I'm lacking some proprietary drivers or something?

Return to “Beginner Questions”