Solved / Mint and Video Freezes/Lags

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RogueTrader

Solved / Mint and Video Freezes/Lags

Post by RogueTrader »

I really hope you guys can help on this one. I am a newbis to linux mint, and have installed Mint 8 Helean Main 
and have been running it for about a week now and LOVE IT. I wish this would have come out years ago! Anywho, 
here the deal, Mint seems to freeze for a few seconds and then comes back to life and also videos on youtube
and other sites seem to lag the audio and then catchup (spelling? is that a sauce?). These were minor nuisances at first
but now it seems to happen like 2 min. 

Perfect example as i write this post i have to stop and wait for my text to show up on the screen ever other sentence. 
Another thing that seems to be graphic related is ever so often i will see the screen or a window fill up with color lines 
and i have to mouse over the area or select text to clear the lines. 

Almost forgot also when closing window or minimizing them sometimes "ghost" impressions for lack of a better term 
remain on the desktop to fix it i have to left click and draw a box around the area to clear that up too.

So trying my best to follow the rules i looked around the forum and found a few like issues with the nvidia cards and 
tried to follow the advice given but i still have the same problems, and i only say problems only because i spend 8 to 
12 hours a day on this PC and its really bothersome. 

I have tried the following: Checked to see to drivers are installed and updated, done both through envy and downloading 
the latest drivers from nvidia. Done still the same.

Also deactivated most all of the 3D animations offered in mint (i really would like to keep them) but still no luck. 

I have ran a few command lines in the terminal as i see this is often requested and here are the outputs:

roguetrader@roguetrader-desktop ~ $ inxi -F
System: Host roguetrader-desktop Kernel 2.6.31-14-generic i686 (32 bit) Distro Linux Mint 8 Helena - Main Edition
CPU: Single core AMD Athlon XP 2600+ (UP) cache 256 KB flags (sse) bmips 4209.54 clocked at 2087.500 MHz
Graphics: Card nVidia NV34 [GeForce FX 5500] X.Org 1.6.4 Res: 1280x1024@50.0hz
GLX Renderer GeForce FX 5500/AGP/SSE/3DNOW! GLX Version 2.1.2 NVIDIA 173.14.20 Direct Rendering Yes
Audio: Card-1 nVidia nForce Audio Processing Unit
Card-2 nVidia nForce2 AC97 Audio Controler (MCP)driver Intel ICH at ports e000 ef00
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version 1.0.20
Network: Card nVidia nForce2 Ethernet Controller driver forcedeth at port e880
Disks: HDD Total Size: 160.1GB (2.6% used) 1: /dev/sda WDC WD800EB-11DJ 80.0GB
2: /dev/sdb SAMSUNG SP0842N 80.0GB
Partition: ID:/ size: 72G used: 3.9G (6%) fs: ext4 ID:swap-1 size: 2.30GB used: 0.01GB (1%) fs: swap
Info: Processes 133 Uptime 9:26 Memory 332.5/749.6MB Client Shell inxi 1.2.6
roguetrader@roguetrader-desktop ~ $

AND 

roguetrader@roguetrader-desktop ~ $ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce2 IGP2 (rev a2)
00:00.1 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Memory Controller 1 (rev a2)
00:00.2 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Memory Controller 4 (rev a2)
00:00.3 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Memory Controller 3 (rev a2)
00:00.4 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Memory Controller 2 (rev a2)
00:00.5 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Memory Controller 5 (rev a2)
00:01.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce2 ISA Bridge (rev a4)
00:01.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation nForce2 SMBus (MCP) (rev a2)
00:02.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 USB Controller (rev a4)
00:02.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 USB Controller (rev a4)
00:02.2 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 USB Controller (rev a4)
00:04.0 Ethernet controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Ethernet Controller (rev a1)
00:05.0 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation nForce Audio Processing Unit (rev a2)
00:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 AC97 Audio Controler (MCP) (rev a1)
00:08.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce2 External PCI Bridge (rev a3)
00:09.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation nForce2 IDE (rev a2)
00:0d.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): nVidia Corporation nForce2 FireWire (IEEE 1394) Controller (rev a3)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce2 AGP (rev a2)
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5500] (rev a1)
roguetrader@roguetrader-desktop ~ $

With my limited knowledge the only thing i could gather from the inix -F is
My very out dated CPU is 4209.54 clocked at 2087.500 MHz, is overclocking going to fix this?
I noticed my CPU usage jumps from 30% to 99% when playing music cds. If so how do i even do this?

Oh i forgot i have 768MB of RAM

Any help or advice would be really great. Thank you.

:?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Mint and Video Freezes/Lags

Post by remoulder »

Do you have Visual Effects enabled - last tab on Appearance? If so set it to none. I assume you have run nvidia-settings?
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
RogueTrader

Post by RogueTrader »

The visual effects are set to custom, but if I go to Display under Hardware it says my graphics card 
dose not support the extensions and asks if i want to use the settings from the vendor. 

Conflict in settings maybe? If I set the Visual Effects to none will I still be able to the effects in Compiz? 

Thanks for the reply, any ideas on how i can get this fixed? 

I guess I will start playing with the Visual Effects settings and change it from custom, and see how it goes
but I am really hoping that I can have the best of both worlds and be able to use all the Compiz settings. 

Thanks again
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

RogueTrader wrote:any ideas on how i can get this fixed?
Getting a newer graphics card might be the best way!

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
RogueTrader

Post by RogueTrader »

Fair enough I was kinda thinking along those lines I just made some adjustments to the Visual Effects
and a few other things but the freezing is still present. 

I also noticed  in System Monitor big spikes in CPU load from 15.5% to 100% when running some of the 3D
effects and even when typing as I am now. So it looks like I need to up date my gear all together. 

I have an old Tyan Thunder K8SR S2881 Motherboard with 2 AMD Opteron 2GHZ Processors and 4GB RAM
Just have to flash the bios. Will this work, any issues with using MInt 8 here?

Also Could you give me a reco on video card, nvidia vs ATI? Thanks very much. 
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

RogueTrader wrote:Will this work, any issues with using MInt 8 here?
You'll need to check the (ubuntu) hardware database for this.
RogueTrader wrote:nvidia vs ATI?
nvidia has traditional better linux support but ATI is getting better though they pulled all proprietary support for older cards as of last year (this applies to Windows also however).

RogueTrader

Re: Mint and Video Freezes/Lags (Solved)

Post by RogueTrader »

Ok will check the database, and I prefer Nvidia over ATI anyway

Thanks for the help

Return to “Beginner Questions”