Installation issues

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Installation issues

Postby mark432 on Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:47 pm

I'm driving myself crazy here. This is my first install of a linux os.... Everything goes just swimmingly until the LiveCD finishes booting up. At that point, mint 8 gets to the desktop screen. Here, I can switch the keyboard options, screw with the accessibility stuff, etc., but in order to get any further is seems I need a user name and password.....? That just doesn't make sense to me. I tried different CDs, different ISO's, different boot options (compatibility mode, installation mode, etc.) but the same thing just keeps happening.

Now, a couple of things-- I know I've got a bad harddrive that I'm running as a slave. I'm going to rip that thing out next and see what happens. #2) I'm running this on a pretty old Compaq (2004ish) and I'm running the same BIOS I was when I bought it. I can't imagine that this would be the problem (nor the bad drive for that matter), but I'm amendable to all possibilities. Any help would be appreciated!!!!!!!!!

Thanks!!!
mark432
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Installation issues

Postby Canard blanc on Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:07 am

but in order to get any further is seems I need a user name and password.....?

Do you have a concern about the Install prompt that says: Who are you? and requests a User Name and a Password?
That is part of the installation routine, and there are reasons for the request, such as establishing you as the Administrator who has access to root for certain actions.

If you are the only person using the computer, and you want to bypass the login prompt, isn't there a Log in automatically option in the lower section of Who are you?.

If not, once the OS is installed, you can go to:
Menu > System > Control Center > System > Login Screen
Press: Unlock
Input your Administrator password, and press: Authenticate
Press: Unlock once again
Select Log in as (User Name) automatically
Close the prompt, and reboot.
Upon reboot, there should no longer be a Login prompt.
Canard blanc
Level 1
Level 1

Postby StanTheMan on Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:30 am

After you have finished the standard instrallation with a User Name and password , then if you want automatic log in -- Menu > System > Administration > Log In screen. Here you can set your preference.
User Name and password are standard in all Linux and also in Win XP and Vista and Win 7 , unless you have asked the retailer to set it up automatic.
. Some new netbooks are being sold with pre-installed systems with NO password.
StanTheMan
Level 5
Level 5

Postby mark432 on Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:12 am

That's the problem. I can't install it. My methodology is as follows. Let me know if I'm doing something wrong....

1. Download mint from some site or another

2. Check the download via md5

3. Burn to CD (I've been using the Windows 7 iso burner)

4. Swing over to my old XP Compaq, fire it up, change boot sequence, let the CD load up

5. Let the CD automatically boot (I've also tried other boot options)

6. Wait a bit. Eventually, the CD finishes loading. At this point, there is a box in the center of a green screen with menu options at the in a task bar at the bottom (i.e. keyboard type, accessibility options, power off, etc.). The box in the middle of the screen has the mint logo, and under that is a red box the reads "Log On". If I click on that, it goes to User. Once I enter in a user name (I've tried guest, I've entered admin, etc. etc. it prompts me for a password. At that point, I get an authentication error and log in box goes back to the original log in box.

Everything I read about the mint install seems to suggest that when I pop in the CD, it should autoload the whole OS, run through it's entire boot sequence, and leave me at a desktop where I have the option of clicking on an icon that says "Install Mint" or some such. The farthest my boot gets is that blasted log on screen........
mark432
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mark432 on Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:48 am

BTW - just tried it on another PC.....and it worked just fine (i.e. no username, password prompting). I'd really like to know what's going on with my other PC as that's where I'd want to install Linux. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!
mark432
Level 1
Level 1

Postby StanTheMan on Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:11 pm

I would only guess that your first PC has something set wrong in its BIOS settings. Your second PC is doing the normal Live desktop.
Someone more familiar with BIOS settings may help out.
StanTheMan
Level 5
Level 5

Postby mark432 on Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:58 pm

Figured it out - it was a problem with my optical drive firmware. Just flashed out the old stuff and the CD booted fine..... Thanks for the help! Kinda liking this linux stuff so far!!!
mark432
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions