granting privileges

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
adrian.ccs

granting privileges

Post by adrian.ccs »

Greetings,

I had mint Gloria and I decided to change it to Helena. The problem here is that I can not find where to change my privileges. For example it keeps asking for my password when I wish to reboot. Where can I change it like I did in Mint 7?

thanks!!!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: granting privileges

Post by viking777 »

This is an 'improvement' courtesy of the kernel developers desperate attempts to make Linux work like Windows (ie everything automatic, no user control - except it doesn't always work).

If you go into 'Users and Groups' from the start menu then select your username then 'properties', do you have a tick against the item 'Administer System'?

If not put one there (the panel is greyed out until you click the key icon on the first screen).
adrian.ccs

Re: granting privileges

Post by adrian.ccs »

thanks viking777, but that was the first thing I tried I even changed my group to root, which had no effect on it. I still get asked if I want to shutdown/ restart my computer. Is there any other manual way? I agree with trying to make it more user friendly but I also had to go around the problem of the 2x2 desktops outside from compiz because it would not let me change it to 2x2. So in the mean time a "brute force"/manual option would be fine :D

Return to “Beginner Questions”