Lost folder and Files

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
artie
Level 1
Level 1

Lost folder and Files

Post by artie »

Hey Guys
I was up all night working on a project for work which I was saving into a folder called untitledfolder, In the Projects folder, in the Home directory. Unfortunately my cat jumped onto the keyboard and while I tried to get her off I double tapped and slid the touchpad while the folder was highlighted. When I got the cat off, my folder was no where to be found. I have tried the Tracker tool and Gnome search to no avail. The files I am looking for have .flv and jpg or jpeg extentions. I have searched all folders in Projects and cannot find it. Is there a better search function in the terminal? I tried various ls commands but nothing :(
Any help would be appreciated I'd hate to start the project over.

Thanks in advance
Artie

Specs Inspiron 600m
Darnya
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Lost folder and Files

Post by 900i »

Go to terminal and enter

Code: Select all

sudo updatedb
Then when that command has finished enter

locate *.flv

locate *.jpg

locate *.jpeg
Desktop Core i7 Linux Mint 21.1 / Laptop Dell Precision M6400 Linux Mint 21.1
artie
Level 1
Level 1

Post by artie »

I tried 900i's method and it only pulled up two .flv files and three .jpg .jpeg files even though there are more than that visible in my home folder. Thanks 900i I appreciate it. Any more suggestions?
artie
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

Could you have accidentally pressed the Delete button which deletes them permanently rather than putting them in the Deleted Items folder?

If so then you'd need some file recovery program, I don't know any off the top of my head but I'm sure someone does.
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon) 64bit.
artie
Level 1
Level 1

Post by artie »

Thanks Gibbs1984,
Yeah I'm not sure if my cat was standing on the delete button but I guess I'll try and pull the hard drive out, hook it up to another computer and run PhotoRec which has a nice set of parameters for searching lost files. Thank you so much for the help.

Return to “Beginner Questions”