iPod

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

iPod

Postby jazzbro on Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:00 am

Hello, I have tried several linux distros on a test machine and fell in love with Linux Mint. I want to install it on my main machine and get rid of Windows Vista but the question is: will my kids be able to attach their iPods and download mp3 files on their iPods? If this issue has been posted already, please excuse. I am just a beginner.
jazzbro
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: iPod

Postby markfiend on Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:06 am

Rhythmbox seems to work with most iPods.
Omnia mutantur, nihil interit.
markfiend
Level 4
Level 4

Re: iPod

Postby beefstu on Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:17 pm

AFAIK, normal ipods are pretty well supported, if not by Rhythmbox then by Songbird which is made by Mozilla http://www.getsongbird.com/system-requirements.php and can have their songs put on with them. I guess the best thing to do is try it before you install or get rid of Vista, if it works OK then go ahead! Otherwise if it doesn't work, if you have an XP of Vista install disk around you could always install it into a VirtualBox so you can use iTunes and still not have to use Windows 99% of the time.

Ipod touch's and iPhones cannot be used without Jailbreaking them although it has been reported that Songbird may support them properly in the future.

EDIT: If you want to install Songbird, download it from the above link and install it using this guide: http://www.ubuntugeek.com/install-songb ... buntu.html you just need to change the name of the file to the name of the one you downloaded as that describes how to install an older version. Also, the "tar" command needs to be run with sudo.
Please go through the steps here when posting a question. Once your question has been resolved, edit the original question post and add [Solved] to the subject. Both of these will help others use the forum effectively.
beefstu
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Newbie Questions