Having trouble installing thunderbird 3

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Having trouble installing thunderbird 3

Postby Banshee265 on Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:31 pm

Hello,

Noobie here, bet you're sick of us lot. I have searched around the forum for this issue and found some stuff but I'm still struggling. If the answer is in this forum already, i do apologise.

Right here goes, as the subject mentions I'm trying to install thunderbird 3. I've downloaded it as a tar.bz2 file and placed it in src folder within my home folder.

I've done a tar -jxvf thunderbird-3.0.1.tar.bz2 which obviously created another thunderbird folder with all the files in.

I've changed into that directory. I've tried ./configure and I get the following error

./configure: No such file or directory

I have build-essentials installed btw.

I've had a look at the README.txt file provided and all it says is

information about installing, running and configuring Thunderbird
including a list of known issues and troubleshooting information,
refer to: http://getthunderbird.com/releases/

However, I still can't find any help at that link.

Can anyone help me? Sorry if it's a real simple issue.

Gee
Banshee265
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Having trouble installing thunderbird 3

Postby Fred on Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:58 pm

TheBigGeeUK,

You are doing this the hard way. Linux has a package management system for good reasons. Use it. Look at the site below for instruction on how to add the experimental repo to your sources list. Then you can install with the package management system.

http://www.webupd8.org/2009/12/install- ... final.html

A warning though. Anytime you skip the vetting process by going straight to the project, you risk breaking things or creating problems that may come back to haunt you later.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Having trouble installing thunderbird 3

Postby XidCat on Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:02 pm

Try installing Ubuntuzilla and then use that to install TBird 3. http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/u ... =Main_Page
"Contrariwise", continued Tweedledee, "if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic."

Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass, Chapter 4
XidCat
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Newbie Questions