Problem with a Wireless PCI card

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Problem with a Wireless PCI card

Postby jacatone on Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:07 am

I'm running Ubuntu 9.10. I installed a Linksys 2.4GHz 802.11b PCI card model WMP 11 and got an error message. Anyone know know to install this thing? Thanks.
jacatone
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Problem with a Wireless PCI card

Postby Aevum on Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:10 am

You also may post the error you got in order for people to understad what the problem is..
Aevum
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Problem with a Wireless PCI card

Postby scott_R on Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:25 pm

You'll need to install the b43-fwcutter package, and follow the instructions here, keeping in mind they might be a little out of date:

http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... om_bcm43xx

That said, like the author, I found that the ndiswrapper (using the Windows drivers that came with the card) tends to work a bit better for me, but it's been a while since I had that particular card, and I'm guessing fwcutter has gotten much better. Try fwcutter first, and if that doesn't work, try ndiswrapper (removing the fwcutter stuff first).

Oh, and apt-get doesn't work so well with no network...lol...so download the .debs you need, and install with 'dpkg -i' instead (as administrator). Hope this helps a bit.
scott_R
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions