Problem with a Wireless PCI card

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Problem with a Wireless PCI card

Postby jacatone on Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:07 am

I'm running Ubuntu 9.10. I installed a Linksys 2.4GHz 802.11b PCI card model WMP 11 and got an error message. Anyone know know to install this thing? Thanks.
jacatone
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Problem with a Wireless PCI card

Postby Aevum on Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:10 am

You also may post the error you got in order for people to understad what the problem is..
Aevum
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Problem with a Wireless PCI card

Postby scott_R on Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:25 pm

You'll need to install the b43-fwcutter package, and follow the instructions here, keeping in mind they might be a little out of date:

http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... om_bcm43xx

That said, like the author, I found that the ndiswrapper (using the Windows drivers that came with the card) tends to work a bit better for me, but it's been a while since I had that particular card, and I'm guessing fwcutter has gotten much better. Try fwcutter first, and if that doesn't work, try ndiswrapper (removing the fwcutter stuff first).

Oh, and apt-get doesn't work so well with no network...lol...so download the .debs you need, and install with 'dpkg -i' instead (as administrator). Hope this helps a bit.
scott_R
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions