Problem with a Wireless PCI card

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Aevum

Re: Problem with a Wireless PCI card

Post by Aevum »

You also may post the error you got in order for people to understad what the problem is..
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
scott_R

Re: Problem with a Wireless PCI card

Post by scott_R »

You'll need to install the b43-fwcutter package, and follow the instructions here, keeping in mind they might be a little out of date:

http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... om_bcm43xx

That said, like the author, I found that the ndiswrapper (using the Windows drivers that came with the card) tends to work a bit better for me, but it's been a while since I had that particular card, and I'm guessing fwcutter has gotten much better. Try fwcutter first, and if that doesn't work, try ndiswrapper (removing the fwcutter stuff first).

Oh, and apt-get doesn't work so well with no network...lol...so download the .debs you need, and install with 'dpkg -i' instead (as administrator). Hope this helps a bit.

Return to “Beginner Questions”