Freshly Installed

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Freshly Installed

Postby huwaw69 on Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:04 pm

I have freshly installed linux mint 8 'helena' on my laptop
it's currently in dual booth with xp

My question is how can i install usb_modeswitch if the only means of internet access to my
place is using a mobile broadband?

i can't seem to connect to the internet or i can't even find my usb broadband
even though i have configured it properly with the no. *99#
and the apn no...

if i download usb_modeswitch in windows, and try to compile it in the newly installed 'helena' will there be a complication,
like required libraries or something?

What should i do now?
huwaw69
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Freshly Installed

Postby prubin73 on Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:11 pm

You can download the .deb file in Windows, then transfer it to Mint (directly if Mint is loading your Windows partition as a drive, otherwise via a memory stick). Once you have it in Mint, you should be able to right-click the .deb file and install it. The only complication comes if you don't have all the packages on which usb-switch depends installed -- the package manager will try to download them and, in the absence of a Internet connection, will fail. You can check the list of dependencies at http://packages.debian.org/sid/usb-modeswitch and download the ones you need to Windows.

/Paul
prubin73
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Freshly Installed

Postby remoulder on Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:06 am

You don't need to download the .deb file or compile the source. Just open synaptic package manager and search for usb-modeswitch. Right click and choose install then click Apply.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Return to Newbie Questions