[Solved] Desktop folder incorrectly mapped?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
carlkhabbaz

[Solved] Desktop folder incorrectly mapped?

Post by carlkhabbaz »

Hi,

I tried a different distro (Crunchbang, for a few hours), then installed Linux Mint 8 over it.
My partitions are as follows:
ext4 /
ext3 /home
swap

so naturally I installed Mint over / , and kept my "/home" folder (I did not format it nor deleted the hidden files or anything).
When the installation was done and I rebooted, I had all my "/home/carl" folder contents displayed on the desktop. Not just "Computer" and "Home", but all of the subfolder (and files) at /home/carl

Moreover, clicking the "Desktop" bookmark in nautilus takes me to "/home/carl"

So now my desktop is cluttered with all the contents of "/home/carl", and hiding the Desktop icons (in gconf-editor -> apps -> nautilus -> ...) is the only way to hide the icons (but I can't use my desktop as a space for files anymore, I have to go to /home/carl/Desktop)

Any idea how to correctly map my desktop to /home/carl/Desktop?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Desktop folder incorrectly mapped?

Post by remoulder »

Press Alt+F2, then type gconf-editor and click Run. In the configuration editor, navigate to apps > nautilus > preferences, untick desktop_is_home_dir
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
carlkhabbaz

Post by carlkhabbaz »

Hi remoulder,

I tried it yesterday (I'm at work now with no access to my laptop) and rebooted but it didn't work.

Now as I remember, right after installing Mint and rebooting, I was presented with a dialog box asking me if I accept to rename the home subfolders so that they become compatible with.. whatever! and I hastily clicked "No"

Do you think it has something to do with it?
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

carlkhabbaz wrote:I was presented with a dialog box asking me if I accept to rename the home subfolders so that they become compatible with.. whatever! and I hastily clicked "No" Do you think it has something to do with it?
Possibly, but I don't recall the exact wording of that dialog so not sure.

Try this - gedit ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs and check the XDG_DESKTOP_DIR= line. On my system this file has the following contents
XDG_MUSIC_DIR="$HOME/Music"
XDG_VIDEOS_DIR="$HOME/Videos"
XDG_DESKTOP_DIR="$HOME/Desktop"
XDG_DOCUMENTS_DIR="$HOME/Documents"
XDG_PROJECTS_DIR="$HOME/Projects"
XDG_TEMPLATES_DIR="$HOME/Templates"
XDG_PICTURES_DIR="$HOME/Pictures"
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
carlkhabbaz

Post by carlkhabbaz »

ok, I'll try it when I get back home and reply.
Thanks again.
carlkhabbaz

Post by carlkhabbaz »

Well, it worked! Thanks a million!

Return to “Beginner Questions”