Audio Conversion Software?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Superewza

Audio Conversion Software?

Post by Superewza »

Hey, well i just put my old laptop hard drive in a caddy with the intention of using it to store music and perhaps install Slitaz on it, but that's for another time. So i've got it all on there, but i noticed that it's a strange mix of .mp3s and .wmas. I can't get any media player to play .wmas properly so i was wondering if converting them all to OGG would be a good idea? If so, what would i use to do this? And finally - is FAT32 the best format to use for it? Bearing in mind it needs to be read and probably written to in Linux, Unix (including OSX) and Windows. Cheers :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Audio Conversion Software?

Post by richyrich »

soundconverter . . available in the Package Manager, works great, and is very easy to use, and yes! it will do batch jobs. Audacity (available in the same), is a little more complicated, will also do batch jobs, and provide more user tweaking, if wanted. :) . Your choice . . :)

regards, richy
Linux n00b

Post by Linux n00b »

soundconverter works horrible for me.

However, soundKonverter works great. I don't understand, it should be only the KDE version of the same application, but it is million times better.
Superewza

Post by Superewza »

Well soundKonverter seems to be working this time round... although now i see why people need a good CPU for encoding. Judging by how long it's taking it to do the first three it'l be running for days. Should be a good test of stability though aye?

EDIT) Spoke too soon i guess, it keeps going through songs and after about a second says 'failed'.

Return to “Beginner Questions”