Had to install Mint 2 times. Dual boot W7. 3 installs now??

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
prat

Had to install Mint 2 times. Dual boot W7. 3 installs now??

Post by prat »

Hello,

I'm a super newbie and have never installed anything but windows. I've been using the live usb version of mint for a week and liked it and decided to install it next to Windows 7. The first time I tried to install it I just got a black screen after everything finished and a text login would blink and disappear.

So I reinstalled Mint the exact same way I did the first time and it worked fine. I clicked the "install next to windows7" option. I don't know what the problem was the first time. But now there is a big problem.

When I get the grub menu and it asks me what I want to load, it now has options for Mint at the top, Windows 7 in the middle, and ANOTHER Mint install at the bottom. Did I install Mint twice? I have no idea how to figure this out. And if I did, how do I remove the first one? It's quite a waste of disk space if I really have 3 OSes installed now.

Sorry I'm such a newb.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
prat

Re: Had to install Mint 2 times. Dual boot W7. 3 installs now??

Post by prat »

Ahh man. I think it did install twice. I'm using the "palimpsest disk utility" and it shows the following:

http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/334/61511256.jpg

How can I fix this?
prat

Post by prat »

Look at me. Talking to myself.

I fixed it by installing Mint again and just manually setting the partitions myself.

Next issue? This OEM user deal? Why was I not able to set up my own user? And how do I delete OEM and setup my own account? I tried, but it still automatically logs in to OEM when I boot the computer.
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

The OEM install option is new in Mint 8 and apparently still has a few bugs. I had the same problem the one time I did an OEM install to check out how it worked. I ended up reinstalling Mint via the normal method rather than hassle with changing users with sudo permissions and deleting a superuser account. I had problems setting up my account, getting my password to work, setting automatic login, and on and on.

That was several months ago and I have managed to block most of it out of my memory. It may be easier for you, especially if someone who knows more about it responds to this thread.

What you should have done in the beginning was let the live CD boot to the Mint desktop. From there, you just double click on the "Install LinuxMint" icon and follow the simple instructions. No OEM user profiles involved. This may yet be the best way to recover from this state.

Return to “Beginner Questions”