switching 'workspace'

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
trampintransit

switching 'workspace'

Post by trampintransit »

OK, having barely got to grips with Ubuntu I have now switched to Mint. Looks lovely so far....but, a feature i loved in ubuntu was the ability to switch desktops or is it called workspaces? Can i do that in Mint?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dwflo

Re: switching 'workspace'

Post by dwflo »

trampintransit wrote:OK, having barely got to grips with Ubuntu I have now switched to Mint. Looks lovely so far....but, a feature i loved in ubuntu was the ability to switch desktops or is it called workspaces? Can i do that in Mint?
Yes you can. The "workplace switcher" can be added to the panel.
Right click on the panel, choose "add to panel" with will bring up a list of goodies to add. Scroll down to the bottom of the initial list and you will find the "Workplace Switcher", add it to the panel. Then go to the properties setting of the switcher and choose how many desktops you want.
I usually have four desktops, since I use compiz.

Dave
trampintransit

Post by trampintransit »

fantastic, so far i am deeply loving the mintygoodness, now tell me of Compiz,,,what does that do?
dwflo

Post by dwflo »

trampintransit wrote:fantastic, so far i am deeply loving the mintygoodness, now tell me of Compiz,,,what does that do?
Compiz is capable of some fantastic eye candy, like 3D views of the desktop, animations to give all kinds of effects.
There is a hitch, you must have a video card capable of handling 3D effects.
Check this thread http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10828.

Dave
rich_roast

Post by rich_roast »

What compiz does might be better demonstrated than explained; try looking for it on Youtube.

Essentially it's eye candy, but I actually find some of what is on offer, like transparency, shading, being able to switch fluidly between workspaces, and the rest help productivity too.

Provided you have Open GL compliant 3d acceleration you should be able to enable it through preferences -> appearance: visual effects tab; set these to whatever you feel comfortable with. As usual more eye candy = more of a performance hit. Preferences -> compizConfig is better explored than explained and allows you to customize compiz to a degree that has always surprised me.

[edit] sorry dwflo didn't see you there
dwflo

Post by dwflo »

sorry dwflo didn't see you there
No problem rich_roast, you explained it better than I did, so much appreciated.

Dave
Rtk-

Post by Rtk- »

It's enabled by default.
CTRL + Alt + Arrow key

Easily customizable in the Compiz config.

Return to “Beginner Questions”