No proprietary drivers are in use on this system?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
YorkeChops

No proprietary drivers are in use on this system?

Post by YorkeChops »

I just did a clean install from my old desktop because I was curious about Mint. It installed correctly, and I updated everything, but my friend said I ought to update my drivers. Yet when I go to the drivers menu, there are none and it just says "No proprietary drivers are in use on this system".

Did I do something wrong, because even though my drivers for my ethernet card, or graphics card or anything like that aren't showing up, I still have sound, I'm on the internet, and yet nothing is wrong with the display. Am I just overreacting or is there something I need to do?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
beefstu

Re: No proprietary drivers are in use on this system?

Post by beefstu »

Welcome to Linux Mint!

No don't worry at all, proprietry drivers just means those drivers which are not 'open source' but are provided by the manufacturer, for example, Nvidia graphics cards or some wireless cards. It just means that there aren't any of those types of driver needed for your system. All you need to do to keep everything up to date as if the padlock on the panel at the bottom is open, click on that to update everything.

Hope you enjoy it, feel free to ask any questions you want!
YorkeChops

Post by YorkeChops »

Thank you so much!

My friend had told me that Dell supported Linux as an OS, so I guess that's why. I was worried for a second there. The only thing I need to know now is how to set up a static IP. I normally use PortForward.com, but there are no guides for Linux. I also googled it and didn't find any of the options that it tells me.
Rtk-

Post by Rtk- »

Done some Googling for you, I was finding it hard to word it myself.
Some hardware devices (such as some brands/models of wireless network cards) require a proprietary device driver.
This is because the hardware vendor/manufacturer have not released the specifications/documentations required in order to develop a open source device driver.

Proprietary device drivers should avoid, they are bad because they are proprietary software, they're without source code, and the user cant modify them.

Sometimes proprietary device drivers are needed though, else the hardware device does not work, if there is no open source device driver available.
beefstu

Post by beefstu »

Ok should really open a new thread for a new question but may as well try and answer this one!

goto Network Connections in the Mint Menu and click on the network you are using (either Auto eth0 for wired or the network name on the wireless tab) then click edit. Goto the IPv4 settings tab and select Manual from the Method drop-down box then put in the details of the static IP and DNS.

I think this is what you want, Portforward.com is only for hardware firewalls and routers, not software.

Return to “Beginner Questions”