Promise I did my due dilligence!

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Promise I did my due dilligence!

Postby jonymacmadcap on Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:42 pm

Hi all,
TOTAL noob here. I did my preliminary search here to see what I could find, I am having trouble with two things.

1ST: I am having trouble getting my Logitech Quickcam Communicate MP (S5500) to be seen by my machine. I did gut Windows all together and have been looking for some type of generic driver for the web cam. Any advice/help here?

Also, I seem not to be able to get Skype to run properly. I loaded the ubuntu version for the standard 32 bit machine and it is there, I can log in, but there are missing options that would allow me to seek out contacts etc. It feels incomplete, maybe I am wrong and need the cam operational or something before all functionality is there.....Pretty confused here.

I am on a Sony VGN A270P and running Helena if this helps.

Again any handholding and / or help in this would be much appreciated.

John
jonymacmadcap
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Promise I did my due dilligence!

Postby dawgdoc on Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:08 pm

jonymacmadcap wrote:
1ST: I am having trouble getting my Logitech Quickcam Communicate MP (S5500) to be seen by my machine. I did gut Windows all together and have been looking for some type of generic driver for the web cam. Any advice/help here?
John

To help with the 1st issue:
Plug in the Webcam. Open a terminal -- Menu > Terminal and enter

Code: Select all
lsusb

Then copy and paste in this thread. Control C will not work to copy. After selecting the response to the command, right click for the context menu which has a copy option. You should receive an answer somewhat like this.

Code: Select all
dawgdoc@dawgdoc-laptop ~ $ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 046d:08dd Logitech, Inc. QuickCam for Notebooks
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

I tested the function of my webcam by installing an application named Cheese. I have not used Skype, so will be unable to help with the configuration.

SYSTEM: Compaq Presario CQ62 Dual-Boot: Mint 13 Gnome x32 PAE, LMDE
READING: The Autobiography of Benvenuto Cellini
dawgdoc
Level 9
Level 9

Return to Newbie Questions