Small Font When Installing

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
S.Fletcher

Small Font When Installing

Post by S.Fletcher »

Hello, I'm completely new to Linux, I'm having a few problems getting everything sorted, didnt like Suse tried Ubuntu couldn't get sound no matter what I tried, so thought that I would try this.

When I install the Text is so small I can't read what I suppose to be typing, everything else seems right like the shortcut's the main panel across the bottom is all clear until text comes involve.

I would really appreciate any help on this, as I'm very close to just buying windows 7

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Small Font When Installing

Post by remoulder »

S.Fletcher wrote:tried Ubuntu couldn't get sound no matter what I tried
In that case I must warn you that mint is based on ubuntu and has many of the same problems.
S.Fletcher wrote:When I install the Text is so small I can't read what I suppose to be typing
Not sure where you are referring to here, could you be more specific. Are you talking about during the install or afterwards, also what option did you pick on the CD boot screen?
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
S.Fletcher

Post by S.Fletcher »

When the initial options in boot-up comes up the text is fine, if I click to install it loads up and then all the set up boxes are so small I can't read, I reconised the set up as it's the same process as Ubunutu but I can't see what I'm suppose to be choosing, I have tried the shortcut zooms out the keyboard or mouse and they don't work.

I downloaded the disc from online, I checked it and everything seemed to be ok, do you reckon it would be better to load a disc that comes with a magazine?

Thanks
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

S.Fletcher wrote:the initial options in boot-up comes up the text is fine, if I click to install
Are you choosing the OEM install option as this is not intended for end-users? You actually don't need to select anything, just leave it to boot - the default setting - then run the installer on the desktop. If this is not the case, anyway you can show us what you are selecting?
S.Fletcher wrote:I downloaded the disc from online
If from the mint download site then that should be fine.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
S.Fletcher

Post by S.Fletcher »

Yeah i was selection OEM, i'll try what u have suggested although i think that's what i done the first time the issue was there.

I'll have ago tonight and let u know.

Thanks for the help
S.Fletcher

Post by S.Fletcher »

I'm still not getting any luck with this, I leave it to load and when the box comes up it's still in small text, the logos and everything seem to be the right size just the text is unreadable, so I can't do anything with this.

Can anyone suggest a good linux system for newbies, that is simple?, All I'm trying to do is run a HTPC.

Thanks
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

S.Fletcher wrote:I leave it to load and when the box comes up it's still in small text, the logos and everything seem to be the right size just the text is unreadable, so I can't do anything with this.
I'm still not certain we're talking about the same thing here, can you check the manual http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/ ... nglish.pdf and make sure what your seeing is the same as what's written there. The installer doesn't ask you to type anything apart from you name and password. Another thought, what screen resolution is displayed? Maybe it's too high and therefore everything appears too small?

S.Fletcher

Post by S.Fletcher »

I am using a 18" HD TV as the monitor, but that works fine with Ubuntu and opensuse with out any issues. Looking at the manual on page 12/13 that is what I can see the map of the world where you choose the time, I can't see any text is so small that I am literally going by the fact it's a map of the world!.
Do you know another Linux OS that is good and will work well as a HTPC?

Thanks
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

As I said before, I can only imagine that you defaulted to a particularly high screen resolution thus making things particularly text look small. As for an HTPC distro, I personally haven't tried any. Mythbuntu, xbmc and linuxmce are ones I know of, maybe others can suggest more?

Return to “Beginner Questions”