Why is Ubuntu Faster startup and in general than Mint?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jbaerbock
Level 4
Level 4

Why is Ubuntu Faster startup and in general than Mint?

Post by jbaerbock »

I love Mint but noticed that on startup and shutdown Ubuntu is a bit faster than Mint, this speed difference being most notable on starting. I was why it is slower? The speed difference is not enough to make me go back to Ubuntu but why? I also noticed WindowsXP starts faster than most Linux distros but shutsdown slower. Any ideas as to what makes it like that?

I have a HP zv6000 laptop with 512 Ram and 2ghz AMD 64 processor.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

I don't really know why Mint is slower than Ubuntu -if it is...
One reason I can think of is that there are some codecs in Mint that are not present in Ubuntu by default and they may take some time to initiate.
Xp does not start faster - it just seems so. When you see the desktop in XP there's still along way to go before the boot is finished. In Mint and the distros I can remember all is done a few moments after you see the complete desktop
On another note, you could really use some more RAM, but I know it's more expensive for laptops
nelamvr6
Level 4
Level 4

Post by nelamvr6 »

Yeah, ram makes a big difference.

Not only is notebook ram more expensive, but usually you lose whatever ram you have, it's really rare that you can simply add another SODIMM, it's usually a matter of taking the stock one out and putting in a larger capacity one.

I guess you could make a keychain out of the old one... :P
jbaerbock
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jbaerbock »

I installed Ubuntu Feisty yesturday and startup time is even more blazing than i remmembered. True that windows does take awhile to load come desktop but still seems overall to go faster unless it is bogged down with startup items.
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Post by grimdestripador »

Were you guys refering to:

How fast windows boots afer a clean install vs.
How fast LMint boots afer a clean install,

Or

How fast windows boots when loaded up with quicktimes, adobe suits, quicken, and hasn't had a clean system install in 2 years. vs
How fast LMint boots two years later.... (see "clean install"; assuming /home is separate partition)

I like hibernation anyway.
jbaerbock
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jbaerbock »

Yeah i ment Windows XP vs Linux Mint both relatively clean install same with Feisty. All though the Windows XP i tested was loaded with customizations and the mint had nothing but ndiswrapper run. Ubuntu also had nothing but ndiswrapper run and that booted loads fater than WinXP. Also been messing with Kubuntu and it loads about average, tad faster than mint but come dektop it still has some things to load.

Overall Ubuntu is fastest in my experiemtns
Second is WinXP
Third is Kubuntu
Fourth is Mint

Granted bootup speed does nothing to determine which OS I use lol.

Return to “Beginner Questions”