Trying to format and run Windows 7

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Trying to format and run Windows 7

Postby Farting Sluggoth on Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:14 pm

Hey everyone.

I've been using Gloria since this past summer, and while I enjoy it a lot, I want to switch back to windows.

I tried booting up from a Windows 7 CD and when I saw the partitions, it would not allow me to install windows as it wasn't "NFTS". It wouldn't allow me to format the partition I had mint on either.

What I want to do is format my computer, start completely fresh with Windows 7 and then eventually dual boot with Windows 7/Mint 8.

I'm a real novice here, so please try to put everything in layman's terms. Pretend like you are teaching your 8 year old little brother!

Thanks!
Farting Sluggoth
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Trying to format and run Windows 7

Postby remoulder on Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:43 pm

This is a linux forum not a windows one, why would you assume users here can help you install windows? If you have a windows disc, it should give you the option to delete the existing partitions, the rest is up to you.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Postby thenewguy on Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:50 pm

I haven't used Windows 7, but I thought it would let you re-partition your hard drive? I recall XP will.

At any rate, you'd like to wipe your system and start over. The best tool for the job is probably Mint's Disk Utility. If you boot up from the Mint live CD, you can find the Disk Utility under the System->Administration menu. I think it'll let you delete all of your partitions, at which point the Windows disc should let you create the new partitions it needs. I'm not familiar with Window 7's partition manager, but try to leave 20GB of space or so on the drive in case you want to come back and try Mint later.

If you want something more all-in-one, you can try GParted Live http://gparted.sourceforge.net It's a Linux live CD which will let you do just about anything you want with a computer disk, including creating, removing and resizing partitions.

Of course before you delete all your partitions, you'll want to backup your files to another drive or CDs or something.
thenewguy
Level 3
Level 3

Postby markcynt on Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:45 pm

Using the Mint Live CD, boot to the desktop, start Gparted, right click on the Swap partition and choose Swap Off, then delete each partition starting from the bottom, then click the big green checkmark to apply all operations.

You should have no problems installing Windows after that.
P5N-E SLI, Core2Duo E6850 3GHZ X 2
2 GB DDR2 800MHZ
EVGA 8800GTS 320MB
2x320GB Hitachi
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
markcynt
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Newbie Questions