Weather

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Weather

Postby The Doctor on Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:46 pm

I have tried to install several weather apps: Screenlets, Kweather, Gnome-Look and can not figure out how to get any of them to run. How do I get a weather app to run as a small window on the desktop?
The Doctor
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Weather

Postby Aging Technogeek on Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:03 pm

Try Google Gadgets, they have several weather gadgets available. In Synaptic Package Manager search google-gadgets.

You can also right click on the panel, click Add to Panel and add a weather applet to your panel that can be expanded to a desktop window with one mouse click.

Registered Linux User 483387
Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Postby The Doctor on Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:02 pm

Solved, kind of. Using Google Gadgets allowed me to get a weather app running. But, I would like to learn Linux and I would like to know how to get something like Clear Weather from Gnome-Look.org running. I did download it, but I can't get it to run. I think I also extracted it.
The Doctor
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Aging Technogeek on Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:33 pm

Actually, if you go to Synaptic Package Manager, search "screenlets" and install the package, Clearweather is already installed. Just run Screenlets from the menu Accessories category and select Clearweather.

Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Postby The Doctor on Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:07 pm

I was able to get Weather Bug working from Google Gadgets. But the next time I booted up, it did not start. What do you have to do to get it start when you boot up. I like the choices it gives you for your weather. Thanks for the help. :D
The Doctor
Level 2
Level 2

Postby hemimaniac on Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:13 pm

Menu > Preferences > Startup Applications

add > Name > command

ctrl+alt+bs
"Linux allows for one thing above all else - 'A user can truly be themselves!'"
hemimaniac
Level 5
Level 5

Postby The Doctor on Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:19 pm

I found out how to get Weather Bug to load each time. In the control panel, under Start Up Applications and then the tab Options, there is a choice to "Remember Currently Running Applications." The problem now is that when it starts up, it is right over the icons for the Home and Computer. I would like it to stay put at the top right of the screen. I can't find anything in its menu to make it stay in one place. Anyone know how to do that?
The Doctor
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Aging Technogeek on Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:56 pm

You can also right click on the menu entry and check "Launch When I Log In".

Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Postby Lits on Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:09 pm

The Doctor wrote:I found out how to get Weather Bug to load each time. In the control panel, under Start Up Applications and then the tab Options, there is a choice to "Remember Currently Running Applications." The problem now is that when it starts up, it is right over the icons for the Home and Computer. I would like it to stay put at the top right of the screen. I can't find anything in its menu to make it stay in one place. Anyone know how to do that?

After you move it and right clicked on the it, is there any option that says anything about "locking" the widget?
Linked IT Solutions is an IT firm based in Center City Philadelphia. Visit our website at http://www.linkeditsolutions.com or our blog at http://blog.linkeditsolutions.com.
Lits
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Aging Technogeek on Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:14 pm

I use the Google sidebar gadget. All my applets are docked to the sidebar on the right of my screen. They sometimes change position within the bar but they don't leave it.

See the desktop here as an example:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10828&start=1365#p238354

Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Postby The Doctor on Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:10 pm

There is nothing with a right click about being docked. I gave up and let it stay in the upper Left corner and moved the icons. I hope they stay.
The Doctor
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Aging Technogeek on Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:15 pm

Right click on the Google Gadgets icon and check Sidebar. The sidebar will corral all of your gadgets.

Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Postby hemimaniac on Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:20 am

My experience with gadgets has been once you position them, on clean shutdowns they remember where they were. for example i use google gadgets like a previous poster does, but mine are launched at start-up with the -ns switch so they appear "floating" (that is with out the dock bar)and on reboot they always stick (even after a back up and restore)
"Linux allows for one thing above all else - 'A user can truly be themselves!'"
hemimaniac
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions