Boot & Iso files

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Boot & Iso files

Postby jmjhome on Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:28 am

Hello,

I have a couple of questions re: boot.

1. I notice that the initial boot screen on Linux Mint 7 (32 bit) was a bit "nicer" looking than the one for Linux Mint 8 (32 bit). The text is plainer. Any reason why, for example was it a setting I chose?

2. I have always chosen the mount point to be " \ ". It was the only one that seemed to work. There are a few choices. What happens if you choose the other ones? How does one run the OS then?

Note, I run Windows XP Home Edition, last reinstalled via recovery disc for this particular computer. I then installed Mint 8 from CD as a dual boot. This computer shuts down if I use virtual box long enough, I must have been overloading it. I therefore don't use it.

Thanks for your time.

Cheers
Anthony
jmjhome
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Boot & Iso files

Postby Midnighter on Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:16 am

1. Unsure, never given it much thought.

2. I assume you mean / ( :P), which is root partition. Machine needs at least root partition and swap partition at the least. Is also optional to set aside space for /home partition, but is useful for keeping your files and setting safe if need to reinstall, or something goes wrong. Other choices are available for those who prefer to partition even further, but for desktop machines is mostly unnneeded, / , swap, and /home are the most common needed.

As for virtualbox, could be a strain, remember your pc has to run your normal os, then another on top of that. What hardware specs do you have? Does your cpu fan sound like it's working hard when running it? What cpu and how much ram does your machine have?
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Newbie Questions