Virtual Desktops?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mintybadger

Virtual Desktops?

Post by mintybadger »

I remember in ubuntu there was support for virtual desktops, so I assumed since mint was based on ubuntu it would also have this feature. However, i can't figure out how to activate it. Does this feature not exist or am I just looking in the wrong place? I'm running Mint 8 main. Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
itlarson

Re: Virtual Desktops?

Post by itlarson »

If you mean multiple workspaces- you can add the workspace switcher to your panel by right clicking the panel, choosing "add to panel", then dragging "workspace switcher" to the panel. You can then right click on the workspace switcher to set the number of workspaces.
Leppie

Post by Leppie »

alternatively, go to Control Center>Simple CompizConfig Settings Manager>Desktop
change either columns or rows (or both). you can also set the appearance to cube, which gives a nice 3d look to it when switching workspaces/desktops. you can use the <CTRL>+<ALT>+arrow keys to navigate through the workspaces/desktops.
mintybadger

Post by mintybadger »

Ah, its called workspaces, that explains why i couldn't find any existing topics on virtual desktops :P. Thanks to both of you for the quick response!
outdoorart

Another workspace question...

Post by outdoorart »

I followed the instructions above to add a workspace switcher to the panel. It works great for side-by-side workspaces (i.e. multiple columns) but not for multiple rows. Am I doing something wrong?

Not a big issue. I'm just used to having multiple desktops stacked like rows.
GrahamG

Post by GrahamG »

@outdoorart: Navigation through the workspaces is simply Ctrl+Shift+Arrow Keys

Right and Left arrow keys move you right and left along the workspace columns; Up and down arrows do the same for the workspace rows. When you click Ctrl + Shift + Any Arrow key you will see the workspace grid that you've created.

Return to “Beginner Questions”