HD Desktop Icons

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

HD Desktop Icons

Postby aj_nc on Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:09 pm

Folks,

This is such a simple matter, I was surprised not to find anything when I did a forum search -- though I'm sure the answer is out there.

I'm a fan of a clean desktop. However, after installation I have 4 internal hard drive icons on my desktop that I'd rather not see ... two Windows partitions, 2 linux partions. I only want to see the "Computer" and "home" icons.

I'd prefer not to have the icons for the internal drives show up on the desktop ... but if I plug in a USB key, I would like that icon visible.

Where/how can I control this behaviour?

Cheers,
AJ
aj_nc
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby pnoque on Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:41 pm

I'm new to Mint myself but I think I know what you're talking about. If you go to the Mint Menu, click on System Tools, and then mintDesktop, all you have to do is uncheck 'mounted drives' or whatever else you don't want on there. I hope that helps.
pnoque
Level 1
Level 1

Postby aj_nc on Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:06 pm

pnoque wrote:I'm new to Mint myself but I think I know what you're talking about. If you go to the Mint Menu, click on System Tools, and then mintDesktop, all you have to do is uncheck 'mounted drives' or whatever else you don't want on there. I hope that helps.

Thanks pnoque! mintDesktop was exactly what I needed.
It did clean away my mounted drives, but that meant my USB Key too.
No worries; I can live with that.

Thanks for the help. Clearly I need to spend a bit more time going through the Mint menus. With a little searching, I would have found that. My other distro is KDE-based, so I'm still getting used to finding things in Gnome.

Cheers,
AJ
aj_nc
Level 1
Level 1

Postby pnoque on Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:36 am

You're very welcome. I think KDE is an incredible project and a great environment, but if you're anything like me, you'll probably never go back to it after getting used to Gnome. Check out:

http://www.xyzcomputing.com/index.php?o ... iew&id=816

for three good reasons to use Gnome.
pnoque
Level 1
Level 1

Postby aj_nc on Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:37 am

As I mentioned, I like a clean and uncluttered desktop, as well as straightforward menu systems, and only the apps that I need.

Like the article says, KDE brings lots to the user, but it may also bring too much. And, like the auther, I don't use many of the "K" apps, being more a fan of Firefox, Thunderbird, OpenOffice, Pidgin, ...

Nevertheless, both PCLinuxOS and Mint are serving me quite well right now, so I'm happy to continue using both for the next few months. In the long term, one may become my favored over the other, but it's not clear which, just yet.

Cheers,
AJ
aj_nc
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions