Problems connecting to internet via Linksys WRT54G V8 router

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mikhou

Problems connecting to internet via Linksys WRT54G V8 router

Post by mikhou »

Hello there. I need some help. I have a Linksys WRT54G router, version 8. (Could this be the problem?) Anyway, I used it successfully when I was a Windows user so that I could wirelessly access our cable modem. That was back in 2008. I have since been living overseas (I do humanitarian aid work in third-world countries so internet ain't so good) and haven't been using the router, and I have also since been converted to a Linux Mint user. So, now I'm back in the States and I'm trying to get the same basic setup that I had before. I want my cable modem to run into my router so that I can use my laptop wirelessly in my house. Here's the problem. I can connect directly to the cable modem, access the internet, no problem. I can connect to the router, no problem. However, I can't access the internet through the router, and I can't seem to find out why. Here's the setup:

Dell Inspiron 1420
Linux Mint 7 Gloria
ndiswrapper is installed, but frankly I don't know if I am using it or not.
Linksys WRT54G router version 8. (I read somewhere that this router ran on Linux up through version 4 and then used different software, but this only means that the software on the router itself used Linux, right? I should still be able to use the router with a Linux OS, right?)

Here's what I have done:

-Reset the router. It seems to have taken.
-I can access the router setup page at 192.168.1.1 and have done so. In fact, to make sure that I had reset the router properly, I reset it from within the setup page as well.
-Through network tools, I pinged the router without a problem.
-I have tried multiple wired ports, and no luck with any of them. I haven't tried wireless yet because I figure if wired doesn't work then there's no way that wireless will.
Ummm...seems like I have done more than that, but I can't think of anything right now. I would appreciate any help that you can give. Thanks so much.

mikhou
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Problems connecting to internet via Linksys WRT54G V8 router

Post by remoulder »

Do you have a default gateway and DNS setup on the connection? Right mouse on the network manager icon and select Connection Information, it should tell you if you have a default route and primary/secondary DNS? Are you getting an IP via DHCP from your router or using a fixed IP. If the former, does your router have DNS information from the ISP, if the later have you set them up in the connection?
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
mculbertson

Post by mculbertson »

[Quote] Linksys WRT54G router version 8. (I read somewhere that this router ran on Linux up through version 4 and then used different software, but this only means that the software on the router itself used Linux, right? I should still be able to use the router with a Linux OS, right?)

?1 = Yes and still does
?2 = Yes
Those are good routers and they are even better when loaded with DD-WRT software instead of the default software Linksys supplies. Your version 8 can be changed according to the web site. Be careful if you go this route because you can brick your router.
conslie

Post by conslie »

While waiting for a more informed reply, I used this guide to get a new WRT54G2 router going under WinDulls. Pushing the button didn't work. Once configured it worked automatically when I moved up to Linux Mint. You might want to run through it to see if it gives a clue about getting the router-cable modem to see each other: http://www.technospot.net/blogs/how-to- ... and-modem/

A discussion here about intermittent connectivity, unresolved, mentioned using the MAC address instead of passwords or firmware updates: http://forums.linksysbycisco.com/linksy ... d.id=41700

The software in the router is presented to the user as HTML, so no need that I can see, if you can read it, to replace it with Linux code.
MadMac

Post by MadMac »

I think the original question and a lot of the follow-on answers may be barking up the wrong tree. If your Mint box gets an IP addy from the Linksys router, and you can ping the router and access it's setup page, then the problem isn't with your Mint system.

The problem is further up stream: between your router and your cable modem, or between your cable modem and your ISP.

Here are a couple of suggestions:
1. Is your router getting an IP address from your ISP/Cable modem? Go to the routers setup page (http://192.168.1.1) and click status, and then click Router. About halfway down that page you should see "Logon Type" and below that "IP Address". What is listed there? Also look below that at the "Default Gateway" and "DNS" lines. What are listed next those? If any of those are 0.0.0.0, or start with 192.168., then that may be your problem.

2. Also, are you able to connect to the internet, through this router with another computer? How did you log on to this site to post your question? :wink: If you try another computer and it can't connect through the router, then the router may have died. IMHO, any linksys product made in the last 3 years is likely a POS, anyway. I used to be a big Linksys fan, but it seems ever since Cisco bought them, they turned into complete junk. Seems weird since Cisco makes world class professional grade routers, but the evidence is there.

Let me know what you find.
chrisss

Post by chrisss »

I have a similar question, as a newbie I hope I don't hijack the thread - please let me know if I do, and I will start another thread.

I just tried Linux Mint Helena last week end, and noticed that I couldn't make the wired connection works. The router is working fine, I tested with my laptop. The lights are on both on the router and at the ethernet port in the desktop - but it stated no connection.

Return to “Beginner Questions”