can't rdc to work term server

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
erikdammit

can't rdc to work term server

Post by erikdammit »

i managed to get the vpn working, but i can't connect to the terminal server no matter what i try. it's a windows 2000 machine. if you can provide any help, that would be awesome. if you need any more information about the set up or need to see error logs, let me know.

thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MadMac

Re: can't rdc to work term server

Post by MadMac »

I'm no expert, but I might be able to help, as I just this morning convinced my Mint box to remote desktop into several of my Windows 7 and Vista boxes.

If I understand you're question, you're situation is this: You have Mint 8(?) installed on one machine, and you are trying to establish a remote desktop connection to a Windows 2000 server, through a VPN.

A couple of questions that might help getting this sorted out:
1. What type of VPN? Is it Microsoft PPTP, Cisco IPSEC, ...?
2. Is the windows 2000 system you are trying to connect to windows 2000 server? or windows 2000 desktop? Can you connect to it using a different windows based machine?
3. What are you trying to use to connect from Mint? rdesktop? grdesktop? VNC? ...
erikdammit

Post by erikdammit »

yeah, i have the latest version of mint installed. i'm trying to connect to a win2k server via vpn. the vpn is pptp. i've been trying a few different rdc clients on here, so let me know which one worked for you and i'll stick with it. and yeah i can connect with any windows machine i've tried.

a few side notes that may or may not matter, and i can't remember if i've mentioned before:

i can ping the domain name of the term server, but not the internal ip.

i've tried with and without a port specified

the IT guy at work replied with "damm bummer" when i told him about my problem =|

MadMac wrote:I'm no expert, but I might be able to help, as I just this morning convinced my Mint box to remote desktop into several of my Windows 7 and Vista boxes.

If I understand you're question, you're situation is this: You have Mint 8(?) installed on one machine, and you are trying to establish a remote desktop connection to a Windows 2000 server, through a VPN.

A couple of questions that might help getting this sorted out:
1. What type of VPN? Is it Microsoft PPTP, Cisco IPSEC, ...?
2. Is the windows 2000 system you are trying to connect to windows 2000 server? or windows 2000 desktop? Can you connect to it using a different windows based machine?
3. What are you trying to use to connect from Mint? rdesktop? grdesktop? VNC? ...
deleted

Post by deleted »

I have no problems, tho, I don't know the networking innards of my company.
However, I do use fully qualified names to the machines.
-Hinto

Return to “Beginner Questions”