SuSE 10.2 --> Mint

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

SuSE 10.2 --> Mint

Postby Quirrel on Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:18 am

I'm waiting for a stable release of MINT KDE to come out.

Once I install it will I have any problems relating to the version of KDE that runs on SuSE10.2 and the version used with Linux Mint?

Will my settings be taken over or do I have to delete the .kde folder before installing?

Cheers

Q
Quirrel
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby nick on Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:20 am

Hi

If you are using Themes/Styles etc. that are not in Mint, would this cause trouble?

Nick
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Re: SuSE 10.2 --> Mint

Postby scorp123 on Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:30 am

Quirrel wrote: Once I install it will I have any problems relating to the version of KDE that runs on SuSE10.2 and the version used with Linux Mint?
There may be minor problems. SUSE uses a heavily modified and customised version of KDE. So some desktop icons will definitely not work any more. Maybe some themes and icons too will not be available and may therefore be displayed incorrectly.

Quirrel wrote: Will my settings be taken over or do I have to delete the .kde folder before installing?
I'd keep these folders:
/.kde/share/config
/.kde/share/apps

Most things in there are the config files of the various KDE apps that you may have used (and configured?) in the past. So settings for programs such as amarok, kopete and konversation would get automagically carried over and should (hopefully!) work as if nothing had happened. I too migrated my stuff from OpenSUSE 10.2 to e.g. Ubuntu 7.04 recently and therefore I am pretty sure that it should work.

It may be a good idea to login a last time into SUSE before you install Mint over it and change all the icons and themes to something that will be present in both distros, e.g. change everything to the Keramik theme (it's a built-in theme of KDE). Remove any fancy plugins or anything that may be SUSE-specific (it's not going to work once you're in Mint anyway).

Another thing to bear in mind: E-Mails. Did you use Thunderbird? SUSE puts everything into this folder: .thunderbird ..... but Ubuntu-like distros such as Mint use: .mozilla-thunderbird ... So if you used Thunderbird just don't forget to rename the directory or all your mails will appear as being "gone".
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Return to Newbie Questions