Can't see both CD/DVD Drives

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ronerman

Can't see both CD/DVD Drives

Post by ronerman »

I am running Mint 8 KDE CE.

I run dbPoweramp CD ripper under Wine. This is a laptop with an internal CD/DVD and I also have an external USB CD/DVD drive. The ripper has a drop down menu to let you select either drive.

The problem is the ripping program only ever sees one drive or the other (only one shows up in the menu) and it's usually the internal, but not always. The only way I've found to get to the external is to reboot over and over and eventually it'll show up.

Both drives show up in fstab and /media. I've had no problems with native Linux programs seeing both drives.

I realize I should also post this on the Illustrate/dbPoweramp forums, but wanted to try here first because from what I've seen of this forum it has extremely helpful an knowledgable members.

Any help forthcoming is greatly appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ronerman

Re: Can't see both CD/DVD Drives

Post by ronerman »

CORRECTION TO THE ABOVE:

I have just tried K3B and Rubyripper. They both have the same problem as dbPoweramp. Can only see one drive. So far they all can only see the external. I'm going to try a few reboots until it changes to the internal and see if it changes for all of them, which I suspect it will.

Thanks,
ronerman
ronerman

Re: Can't see both CD/DVD Drives

Post by ronerman »

I figured it out. I was wrong about K3B and rubyripper not seeing the drives. They were indeed, seeing both drives, just this newbie wasn't. As far as dBpoweramp only seeing one drive, it was a Wine problem. Wine was configured to only see one drive. Problem solved.

Return to “Beginner Questions”