Unable to opperate visual effects

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mindgamer8907

Unable to opperate visual effects

Post by mindgamer8907 »

Hopefully this is the place to ask this, if not, I'm sorry I blame it on my newbie-ness.

It would be nice to be able to use the visual effects like the "cube" or the "fire painting" (or any others for that matter) but whenever I enter the Control Center and use (I think) Visual preferences to change the effects from "None" to "Normal" the system begins searching for available drivers. Then a message pops up saying that there are no drivers to support the visual settings. I know that I have at least one driver, however, to make my laptop (an acer) operate properly with Mint I had to install (for my ATI Radeon Xpress 1100 Graphics card) the latest ATI driver (I think it was 10.2). I'm guessing that because this is my proprietary driver the Cube vis effect and the fire painting won't work. If this assumption is correct, does anyone know if I need this as my proprietary driver? The only problem seemed to be when I put my comp to sleep, which I don't like to do and can abstain from. I'll check back frequently, and keep plugging away on it. Thanks in advance everyone.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MadMac

Re: Unable to opperate visual effects

Post by MadMac »

I had similar problems with my NVidia drivers, although I think NVidia's Linux support may be a little better than ATI.

I don't have a good answer for you but here's a solution that worked for someone with a similar problem
http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-557905.html

Return to “Beginner Questions”