100% Noob Question

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SteveWiilliams

100% Noob Question

Post by SteveWiilliams »

I've been using Windows for several years, I've been thru XP, Vista and 7. I actually hate it now that I can see how awesome Linux is. I recently installed Linux Mint 8 Helena, and I absolutely adore it.

One problem.

When I try to open the default music player, Rhythmbox, it crashes and I have to do a force quit. I can't play music thru it at all. Then I use the Package Manager to try to install Songbird.

Songbird is apparently installed but I can't run it thru the Main Menu OR thru Terminal.

Help...?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: 100% Noob Question

Post by viking777 »

You will need to post the error messages you get when you try to open them from the terminal, then we might get a clue.
SteveWiilliams

Post by SteveWiilliams »

Okay, when I get on my own comptuer I'll make sure to post a screenshot :D
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

Odd. What hardware do you have? Are any other applications playing up? I've never had any issue with Rhythmbox (well, none worth mentioning :P). As for songbird, if it is installed, try running

Code: Select all

killall gnome-panel
from a terminal, and this should reload the panel and menus, and Songbird should appear in the menu. Why Rhythmbox is crashing on you is a mystery. How new is your install? Is it updated? Did the install go smoothly? Please provide as many answers as able. Cheers. :)
SteveWiilliams

Post by SteveWiilliams »

Midnighter wrote:Odd. What hardware do you have? Are any other applications playing up? I've never had any issue with Rhythmbox (well, none worth mentioning :P). As for songbird, if it is installed, try running

Code: Select all

killall gnome-panel
from a terminal, and this should reload the panel and menus, and Songbird should appear in the menu. Why Rhythmbox is crashing on you is a mystery. How new is your install? Is it updated? Did the install go smoothly? Please provide as many answers as able. Cheers. :)
Hardware is very basic. Just 1024MB memory, 160GB HHD and a Celeron processor. No other applications are playing up and all else is running smoothly. I installed it about 3 days ago. The install was a bit messy. I resized the Windows XP partition three times but forgot to delete all three resizing processes. So it got resized three times and that may have done something. I haven't updated since the installation was finished. I've also installed Windows XP in a VirtualBox emulator but I doubt that would have affected anything.

I'll try that command when I get back home :) Thanks for the help.

Return to “Beginner Questions”