PPPoe problem in Mint8

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Leppie

Re: PPPoe problem in Mint8

Post by Leppie »

spandey wrote:After all 'not replacing existing default route via 192.168.1.1' says it all!!!
maybe a silly question, but isn't 192.168.1.1 your dsl modem?

try the instructions from the link remoulder provided, they seem very simple and easy to follow.
spandey

Post by spandey »

H Leppie,
yes that's my Modem. But when PPPoe is done this value should be replaced by Dynamic IP in IPV4 settings. So there is some settings in MINT8 preventing that from happening?
Leppie

Post by Leppie »

did you edit /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.network-manager-settings.system.policy as suggested in the article?
find the following section and set the allow_active option to yes:

Code: Select all

<message xml:lang="en_GB">System policy prevents modification of system settings</message>
    <message xml:lang="gu">સિસ્ટમ પોલિસી એ સિસ્ટમ સુયોજનોનાં બદલાવને અટકાવે છે</message>
    <message xml:lang="kn">ವ್ಯವಸ್ಥೆಯ ಸಂಪರ್ಕಗಳನ್ನು ಮಾರ್ಪಡಿಸದಂತೆ ವ್ಯವಸ್ಥೆಯ ನಿಯಮಗಳು ತಡೆಯುತ್ತಿವೆ</message>
    <message xml:lang="mr">प्रणाली करार, प्रणाली संयोजना संपादीत करण्यापासून रोखतो</message>
    <message xml:lang="pl">Polityka systemu powstrzymuje modyfikację ustawień systemowych</message>
    <message xml:lang="sv">Systemets policy förhindrar ändring av systeminställningar</message>
    <message xml:lang="te">సిస్టమ్ అమరికలు సవరించుటకు సిస్టమ్ పాలసి నిరోధిస్తుంది</message>
    <message xml:lang="zh_CN">系统策略阻止更改系统设置</message>
    <defaults>
      <allow_inactive>no</allow_inactive>
      <allow_active>yes</allow_active>
spandey

Post by spandey »

Hi guys,
You are making me crazy. I am not able to connect to Internet using MINT. Then how do you want me to download something and install.
My NetworkManager can't connect.
PPoeconf doesn't work either.
Mint live CD can't connect to net?

Can it be done using Puppy CD? Please give me the steps?
Leppie

Post by Leppie »

i don't recall me explicitly telling you to download and install something...
in relation to what you were saying in one of your last posts was that you were not able to modify the settings for your connection, i referred to that article as there is also instructions for that. which i then posted here...
spandey

Post by spandey »

Ok. Boulder suggested the article which says download Network manager from Daily PPA or use pppoeconf from Terminal

Now PPPoeconf from terminal doesn't work. I can't get internet so can't download source from PPA.

I had requested if some of knew setting names for PPPoeconf which fixes ipv4 issues. For this you had replied with those paramater. If I don't know which parameter to change what good is the Paramater file?

That what I meant !!!
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

spandey wrote:Now PPPoeconf from terminal doesn't work
spandev, did you comment out the line in /etc/ppp/pppoe_on_boot as per the link? If so that's probably why pppoeconf is now not working.
Second, comment out line -exec pppd call dsl-provider- in /etc/ppp/pppoe_on_boot, that is to say disable my previous pppoe on boot setting which is configured by pppoeconf
spandey wrote:I can't get internet so can't download source from PPA.
You can download later .debs of network-manager and libraries from https://launchpad.net/~network-manager/ ... /+packages. These can be downloaded on another PC and transferred using a usb drive. Not sure which files are need to solve all dependencies however.
spandey wrote:I had requested if some of knew setting names for PPPoeconf which fixes ipv4 issues
You should understand that users here are not developers by and large. We are not writing this code and cannot give you this information. You are free to download the source code and find it for yourself of course.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
mohinga

Post by mohinga »

Please pardon my butting in... I'm not someone who is able to give technical advice... but I had an longterm problem with pppoe.
I was using a wired adsl connection, and could only connect with XP, or pclos; but not other linux distros. (and even pclos required frequent attempts at network configuration each time.)
Searched many forums... but most of the advice was beyond my ability to understand (I'm an old guy.) And did some reading, e.g. "Linux for Dummies".
Anyway, I finally figured out that the pppoe thing is handled either by one's router or OS. Windows XP seemed to do this easily, pclos with difficulty, and other distros not so well. (There are lengthy forum discussions on OpenSuse about pppoe config...).
So I read my modem/router manual, and found that there were three modes of configuration. The bridge mode - which I was using - required the OS/distro to handle the pppoe thing. The "router mode" handled the pppoe; so I finally worked up enough nerve to reset the modem and choose that mode. (the third mode was irrelevant.)
Since doing this, most distros automatically connect as eth0... including Mint 8. (have tried quite a few live cd's, and most connect automatically. Mepis being the exception.)
So it may be worthwhile to read your modem/router manual, to see if there is a more appropriate configuration mode.
Sorry for the non-tech terminology.
spandey

Post by spandey »

Hi Mohinga,
Thanks for the update. I am also not good at networking. I am aware of "router mode". But when I use XP, my machine had several hack problems as my modem doesn't have good firewall. If I keep in Bridge mode my Comodo Firewall in XP is able to handle.

I am newbie to Linux and here are my experiments for PPPoe in last 3 weeks:
1. Puppy Linux CD works like charm
2. Ubuntu 9.10 CD works but from command line
3. Mint8 CD doesn't work
4. Opensuse 11.2 CD works

In fact I installed Ubuntu and it is working but from Command line.

i somehow doesn't like mess and trying to come out Windows mess and finding Linux world more Chaotic.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

spandey wrote:3. Mint8 CD doesn't work
spandey, you never mentioned you were trying to do this from the livecd. This possibly makes a big difference to things as unless you are going to download all the updates everytime you boot, you are not going to get fixes for things like this and system changes will not be retained.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
spandey

Post by spandey »

Remoulder,
Please read the start of my post. I have installed MINT8 though PPPoe was not working CD, hoping it will get fixed.

To make sure that my modem will work in Linux I went ahead and tried Puppy CD, Ubuntu CD, Suse CD and all of them work. Then went ahead and installed Ubuntu 9.10 and it's working.
ashwinhgtx

Post by ashwinhgtx »

I use a BSNL ADSL connection on Mint 8. I use pppoeconf and the connection works perfectly. My modem/router is a UTSTARCOM WA3002G4. I have set the router to connect in bridge mode.
spandey

Post by spandey »

Hi,
Can you help me out please? I just installed Mint8 Gnome 32 bit and ppoeconf doesn't work. I am also in Bridge mode.

Did you do any other changes to make it work?
ashwinhgtx

Post by ashwinhgtx »

I set the modem to connect using bridge mode. Shutdown both the modem and the laptop. Then rebooted them. Pulled up a terminal. Typed in sudo pppoeconf, entered the username and password; rest everything I accepted the default settings. And I was connected.

The username and password you're supposed to enter in pppoeconf is the one you used in Windows when it dials the connection. You know, that BSNL pppoe dialer thingy.

Hope it works.

Return to “Beginner Questions”