Steam on Mint7

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Nihilist88

Steam on Mint7

Post by Nihilist88 »

hey guys, I am trying to think of a way of getting my Steam program on my Linux. Now, I know Linux does not support games but I have heard several ways of playing them i.e. Wine. But I have also heard that Steam bans you for that because it is easily hack-able. So is there any way around this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Goden

Re: Steam on Mint7

Post by Goden »

I have heard of many people running Steam on their Ubuntu systems.
The only downer is I think you need to add some Windows-Font files, since Steam uses fonts that are not included.
Nihilist88

Post by Nihilist88 »

Goden wrote:I have heard of many people running Steam on their Ubuntu systems.
The only downer is I think you need to add some Windows-Font files, since Steam uses fonts that are not included.
See I thought since it was a .exe extension it would not work also how would I go about getting these files?
conslie

Post by conslie »

.exe files do require Wine or an alternative. No idea about which fonts are needed, but Wine-doors (in the Software Manager) will let you install and run it to add several, and winetricks, a few more steps, will do the same: http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks .

You might want to search for something like steam ubuntu wine install to see if you can find more detailed instructions and advice.
Nihilist88

Post by Nihilist88 »

Well I got it to run Steam anyways. Now when I try to launch counter strike source it says module failed to initiate. Any suggestions?

Return to “Beginner Questions”