W-LAN Security // Can not anything else but WEP 64

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Gegenzeit

W-LAN Security // Can not anything else but WEP 64

Post by Gegenzeit »

Hi,

one of the reasons for my switch to Linux was the idea to highten my computer security.

While reading security related stuff I realized that my Wlan-router still had the 0000 as admin-pw and that I use WEP (a five letter name). So I tried to change to WAP2 and a 32 digit pw today. I failed.

I can not use anything else than WEP 64 bit. And only the Hex-key (not ASCII). If I try anything else, I can not get Ubuntu to connect to the network (My Windows Laptop accepts WEP 128 bit and ASCII, but still no WAP2). There is a warning sign in my wlan-router (Speedport W500V) which says WAP/WAP2 would only work with windows xp. Should I try another Wlan-Router, or what?

The only way to raise my security level I found was to hide my SSID and change it to something rather complicated ;)

Questions:

- Is this enough?
- How the heck do I get WAP2 working on Ubuntu, Windows 7, Windows Vista and Windows XP (for these are the operation systems used in my wlan). I see no reason not to use the best security available.

Thanks

Jörg
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: W-LAN Security // Can not anything else but WEP 64

Post by Aging Technogeek »

If you are using Ubuntu, you should post your question in the Ubuntu forum.

What works in Ubuntu will usually work in Mint but what works in Mint may not work in Ubuntu.
Gegenzeit

Post by Gegenzeit »

Hi,

I thought Mint was one name for a Ubuntu-based Linux, so I wasn't ware of that making any difference ... I do use Mint.
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Mint is based on Ubuntu, but the developers put in quite a few changes of their own, so back compatibility is not assured.

I noticed in your original post that you got a warning about your router only working in XP. It may be easiest to get another brand of router - try Linksys, Netgear, Belkin, or D-Link (just quick suggestions off the top of my head).

Other than that, I'm sorry but I can't help you - no experience with encrypted wireless networks.
Gegenzeit

Post by Gegenzeit »

Another problem arised: My connection interrupts from time to time. When it does and I want to reconnect, it tries to connect for about 5 minutes and then asks me for the pw everytime. It does succesfully connect on system start, though. When I edit the network, the correct pw is entered. I just don't get it.

Return to “Beginner Questions”