Setting up a network

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Setting up a network

Postby T J Tulley on Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:35 am

I hope to be able to set up a local network between my PC now running only Mint Bianca, via Ethernet connection to wi-fi modem router, and my Laptop running Windows XP Pro with wi-fi connection to the same modem router. Both connections to the router are working well.

I am having some difficulty with the forms in Bianca Networking - I have set up a location but the next form requires a domain name - if I state that it implies connection to the public net - I don't want to do that in my local network. If I did, I presume it would have to be the domain name provided by my ISP - I have no other.

This PC's network address is 198.168.0.2, the router/gateway is 198.168.0.1, and the laptop is 198.168.0.3 - I have just checked that in the laptop - where TCP/IP is enabled. But I can't ping the laptop. Trace route doesn't find it either, and it is running.

When this network is set up, I want to use it to copy files - there is a worrying entry in the networking FAQs about that. Can you reassure me?

I shall be grateful for any advice.

Yours hopefully, -

Theo Tulley.

tj.tulley@physics.org
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Husse on Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:34 pm

No it is not supposed to be your ISP's domain in a private net
You have Hostname and Domain, where domain could be a Windows domain. It could also be left blank (I believe)
Can you ping at all - ping Mint from xp or xp from Mint?
This could be some application set to filter out some connections, like a firewall
There may theoretically be a problem with very large files - larger than a CD ISO
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Setting up a network

Postby T J Tulley on Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:27 pm

Thanks Husse.

It's not so urgent now - I suddenly had the idea that i can transfer files using my Flash "stick" - 4 GB - and that has solved the problem. I suppose the CD burner will work some time.

I am being urged to do a clean install of Cassandra instead of updating and upgrading Bianca - however it is not clear whether the stable version of Cassandra is out yet - Mint News this week reported that it was expected to be out this week, but I haven't yet seen anything above Beta on offer.

The files in question are my E-mails store folder (1 GB) and my Outlook Express Address Book (~600 kB), which needed to be in a working Windows system to be exported as a csv file.

I have temporarily solved the problem of printing - my printer is now connected to my laptop. I have a lot of things waiting for attention, so improving this system will have to wait - I've spent nearly a week on it.

I must say that I'm not impressed by the address book in Evolution - it allows the creation of Lists but these don't show if the selected address book format is a table. I have lists named as G1, G2, G6T - they don't show when the format is set as a table.

It might be fine for business - I'm only interested in e-mail addresses. I have a different address book for postal addresses, with an output for printing labels.

OE 6 allows several e-mail addresses to be entered, with one identified as Default. I await Cassandra with interest, but will probably migrate into Thunderbird.

With many thanks,

Yours sincerely, -

Theo Tulley.

tj.tulley@physics.org
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Newbie Questions