Setting up a network

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Setting up a network

Post by T J Tulley »

I hope to be able to set up a local network between my PC now running only Mint Bianca, via Ethernet connection to wi-fi modem router, and my Laptop running Windows XP Pro with wi-fi connection to the same modem router. Both connections to the router are working well.

I am having some difficulty with the forms in Bianca Networking - I have set up a location but the next form requires a domain name - if I state that it implies connection to the public net - I don't want to do that in my local network. If I did, I presume it would have to be the domain name provided by my ISP - I have no other.

This PC's network address is 198.168.0.2, the router/gateway is 198.168.0.1, and the laptop is 198.168.0.3 - I have just checked that in the laptop - where TCP/IP is enabled. But I can't ping the laptop. Trace route doesn't find it either, and it is running.

When this network is set up, I want to use it to copy files - there is a worrying entry in the networking FAQs about that. Can you reassure me?

I shall be grateful for any advice.

Yours hopefully, -

Theo Tulley.

tj.tulley@physics.org
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

No it is not supposed to be your ISP's domain in a private net
You have Hostname and Domain, where domain could be a Windows domain. It could also be left blank (I believe)
Can you ping at all - ping Mint from xp or xp from Mint?
This could be some application set to filter out some connections, like a firewall
There may theoretically be a problem with very large files - larger than a CD ISO
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Setting up a network

Post by T J Tulley »

Thanks Husse.

It's not so urgent now - I suddenly had the idea that i can transfer files using my Flash "stick" - 4 GB - and that has solved the problem. I suppose the CD burner will work some time.

I am being urged to do a clean install of Cassandra instead of updating and upgrading Bianca - however it is not clear whether the stable version of Cassandra is out yet - Mint News this week reported that it was expected to be out this week, but I haven't yet seen anything above Beta on offer.

The files in question are my E-mails store folder (1 GB) and my Outlook Express Address Book (~600 kB), which needed to be in a working Windows system to be exported as a csv file.

I have temporarily solved the problem of printing - my printer is now connected to my laptop. I have a lot of things waiting for attention, so improving this system will have to wait - I've spent nearly a week on it.

I must say that I'm not impressed by the address book in Evolution - it allows the creation of Lists but these don't show if the selected address book format is a table. I have lists named as G1, G2, G6T - they don't show when the format is set as a table.

It might be fine for business - I'm only interested in e-mail addresses. I have a different address book for postal addresses, with an output for printing labels.

OE 6 allows several e-mail addresses to be entered, with one identified as Default. I await Cassandra with interest, but will probably migrate into Thunderbird.

With many thanks,

Yours sincerely, -

Theo Tulley.

tj.tulley@physics.org

Return to “Beginner Questions”