Problems using Beryl

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Problems using Beryl

Postby gaston487 on Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:21 pm

Hi there! I am new on Linux Mint but I have been using it for a while without problems BUT one which is very annoying...

I cannot use the Beryl because when I active it the upper bars of the windows disappear so I cannot close, maximize or minimize that window...

Do you know how I can solve this inconvenient? I would appreciate any recommendation you can give me.

I have installed the last nvidia driver for my video card NVIDIA6100, and everything is functioning using Beryl except by that small inconvenient...

Thanks in advance!

Gastón (from Salta - Argentina)
gaston487
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby scorp123 on Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:40 pm

Seems you selected a window decorator that doesn't work. You should check with the "Beryl Manager" and select a different "Window Decorator". Did you install things such as emerald, aquamarine, and so on? They are window decorators that should work with Beryl. But sometimes one or the other just doesn't want to. You have to try which one works. Also, you maybe have to configure a theme in "Emerald Manager" and pick one that's available and try if it works.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Postby gaston487 on Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:10 am

Hi! thank you very much for swift response...I will proceed with your recommendations and let's see what happen.

Yes, I installed the Emerald theme manager but I haven't confgured it. I think I also have the Aquamarine into the OS...so, in the event I cannot make the emerald work, I'll try to change to this one in order to see if that solves my problem...

Thanks again! :D
gaston487
Level 1
Level 1

Postby akshunj on Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:55 pm

Also, sometimes when you enable Beryl, it will hide the windows decorations off-screen. Use the Alt+left-mouse-button and move the window around, and you should get your window borders back...

--Akshun J
akshunj
Level 3
Level 3

Postby newW2 on Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:24 pm

And if those suggestions fail do as telic posted here:
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... ryl&t=2220
newW2
Level 6
Level 6

Postby gaston487 on Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:39 pm

Hi to everyone and thanks for the helpful commentaries. I tried the suggestion showed into the link to the same topic into this forum and I solved my problem...that is great! All tittle bars are there!

Just one fool question :oops: : Do you know why the OS is so slow during the charge when you turn on the computer at the beginning? I mean, is this something I can modify by my own or this is how the system works?

I have a Turion 64 MK36 (2.0) and 512DDR2 with 80GB hard drive.

Thanks for clarifying my doubts.
BYE
gaston487
Level 1
Level 1

Postby newW2 on Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:48 pm

You can add irqpoll to the kernel line in the grub menu list.
in terminal enter the code:
sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

then add irqpoll at the end of the kernel line (see following example):

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-15-generic root=UUID=48c5a348-eb39-4171-8531-671a49fdb75b ro quiet splash irqpoll

This is talked about several places to include:

http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4349
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... oll&t=3625 http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= ... ostcount=4
newW2
Level 6
Level 6

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions