Sound is really quiet

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Moiseyspo

Sound is really quiet

Post by Moiseyspo »

hey guys, so i just installed Linux Mint 8 and i can for some reason my sound is really really low even when i turn the speakers on to their max and i put the sound level on it max too in the control panel.

its not just the sound of the Internet.. i the vids i play are also really quiet.

can anyone help me out with this problem please xD
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
clgy15

Re: Sound is really quiet

Post by clgy15 »

type this into the terminal

Code: Select all

alsamixer
then make sure that the PCM column is all the way up.
stevefed5291

Post by stevefed5291 »

additionally, you might have to run

alsactl store
, afterwards to save those settings as the default. Not in front of a Mint-box at the moment so I can't check. If that doesn't work, try running

pulseaudio -k
pulseaudio -vv
in the terminal and see If it gets any louder.
Moiseyspo

Post by Moiseyspo »

clgy15 wrote:type this into the terminal

alsamixer
what is the terminal... where do i find it?
stevefed5291

Post by stevefed5291 »

right-click your desktop and choose 'open in terminal'. A window will pop up similar to Windows' command prompt.
Moiseyspo

Post by Moiseyspo »

clgy15 wrote:type this into the terminal

alsamixer
the pcm is all the way up so nothing helped.. got any other ideas?
stevefed5291

Post by stevefed5291 »

check the other columns, maybe master_front or similar. Play around with them until you start to notice an increase/decrease in your volume that lets you know you've found out which column is controlling it.

Return to “Beginner Questions”