Will mint 7 work on this laptop?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
theneomaster

Will mint 7 work on this laptop?

Post by theneomaster »

Well, I want to get my old laptop working again. A couple of years ago the hdd died and it's just been sitting on the shelf ever since. It previously run windows xp, and I would just install that again as I have the oem disk and coa sticker, but it's being used on another machine now. So I thought I'd give linux a go. I have chosen linux mint 7 for it's ease of use and installation.

The thing is though, I'm not sure whether it will work on my laptop.

The specs are:

Intel pentium 3 500mhz
64mb ram
8mb graphics
CD-ROM drive
Will buy 6gb hard drive

I know 64mb ram is nowhere near enough for mint, but I'm not sure if 256mb (the laptop's limit) will work either. Could someone please tell me if it will work? If so, how will the performance be? I'm guessing not much, but all I will use it for cd's and wordprocessing.

Quick answers appreciated. Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mr. Alex

Re: Will mint 7 work on this laptop?

Post by Mr. Alex »

64 MB is so not enough! It won't even start I guess. Although 256 MB will be enough to start Mint 7 but swap will slow you down. Try to use Puppy for this machine.
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

With a max of 256 Meg of ram the only Mint version with a good chance for installation is the Fluxbox CE ( release notes http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_helena_fluxbox.php ). It is made to work on older hardware. Mint 7 or 8 Main Edition requires a minimum of 512 Meg of ram to even hope to install. Your chances of getting Main Edition or KDE CE to install on yout laptop are nil. Mint 7 XFCE CE may install, but, the release announcement says:
A minimum of 3GB of free space and 256MB RAM are needed. For a comfortable experience we recommended to have at least 512MB RAM and 10GB of free space.
For a unit with the specs of yours, I would try Crunchbang Linux (http://crunchbanglinux.org/ ). It's very light and fast, should install easily and run with no problems.

PS. Don't worry about the disclaimer att the bottom of the Crunchbang Home Page. Many people have used Crunchbang for months without a crash.
bigBuckets

Post by bigBuckets »

I have Crunchbang on a 256mb RAM machine and it works well. It's also based on Ubuntu so the software, updating, etc. is all very familiar.
dancingdog777

Post by dancingdog777 »

Hope this doesn't go against the forum rules (pls delete if it does), but on a similar spec laptop I have Mepis AntiX running. This lappy was made for Win Me so yours should be fine.

Return to “Beginner Questions”