root password

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hakon

root password

Post by hakon »

Hi, I recently switched from Windows, and I never regretted that move, although there are some apps (photo tools) that behave differently when used under Wine. Anyway, I like it. As prime user I can administer my system but when I try to do admin things from another user it won't work. E. g. tried to access another partition; typed in the correct admin password but was told the password in not correct. Is this a no no, or what else? I wanted to access the data for that particular user on the Windows disk.

Thanks, Hakon
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: root password

Post by Aging Technogeek »

In Linux each user has his/her own password and the system will not accept any password that does not match the user name for the active session.

Even with the correct password, if the user is not in the admin group (or sudoers group) access to many functions will be limited or denied. This is part of the security structure of Linux and other Unix based Operating Systems.

Return to “Beginner Questions”