New to Linux Mint! Have Panel and AWN question!

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mazz

New to Linux Mint! Have Panel and AWN question!

Post by Mazz »

Hey guys, love this linux distro much! I got it on my netbook and I personally perfer it over ubuntu. The netbook hw support is amazing!

I do have a question though, I'm trying to get rid of the main panel as I am using AWN for everything. I can't for the life of me get rid of it. I already removed everything off, but now I just have a weird blank bar.

Also, is there an applet for AWN that will allow me to view my wireless network signal? Or can I get a launcher command line to be able to connect to wireless connections in the area?

Thanks much for the help in advanced!!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: New to Linux Mint! Have Panel and AWN question!

Post by Aging Technogeek »

The only way I know to hide the panel is to right click on the panel, click Properties and select Autohide. This will minimize the panel to the edge of the screen. Unfortunately it will reappear whenever you run your mouse cursor over it.

For the wireless thing, open Package Manager and enter wifi-radar in the search box. Install wifi radar and create a launcer on your dock. Wifi radar must be launched as root - copy the exact launch command from the main menu to the launcher creation box in AWN. This will allow you to browse local networks and connect or disconnect from your AWN dock.
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

BUMP! Will AWN work in Xfce? With Xfce you can get rid of the Panel permanently.
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

I've used AWN in XFCE with no problems.

If you know enough about Gnome you might be able to shut off the panel safely. Unfortunately, I don't know that much about it.
Mazz

Post by Mazz »

Aging Technogeek wrote:The only way I know to hide the panel is to right click on the panel, click Properties and select Autohide. This will minimize the panel to the edge of the screen. Unfortunately it will reappear whenever you run your mouse cursor over it.

For the wireless thing, open Package Manager and enter wifi-radar in the search box. Install wifi radar and create a launcer on your dock. Wifi radar must be launched as root - copy the exact launch command from the main menu to the launcher creation box in AWN. This will allow you to browse local networks and connect or disconnect from your AWN dock.
Thank you!

Return to “Beginner Questions”