Constant switching from Disconnected to Connectiion Establi

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Constant switching from Disconnected to Connectiion Establi

Postby welders4linux on Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:35 am

Hello, I am a mint newbie but have used ubuntu for a couple of years now.

I noticed after I did a massive updated 199MB or so that my connection status (wired) constantly switches from Disconnected to Connection Established

please send help, other then this very annoying attrib I much like mint
welders4linux
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Husse on Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:42 am

Welcome to Mint welders4linux
That is a really odd thing...
Is it really shifting or is it just that is seems so?
What kind of connection is it and what hardware do you have? Cassandra?
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby welders4linux on Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:08 am

Thanks for the reply :o)

yes I am being dropped and reconnected on a constant basis, I am using Cassandra on an older Pavillion XP 1500 (1.3GHz cpu, 1Gigabyte of RAM)

I am running through a linksys router model: befw11s4

Do not know if it is perhaps the connectors/cable/laptop problems regarding the wired connection...Don't think so however.

Im now trying to enable my wireless under WEP, unprotected works fine, but thats not an option.
welders4linux
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:16 am

OK - this could help, not sure.
Some broadband routers get problems after heavy use, some cache may be filled.
Turn the router (and the modem) off for an hour and see if that helps - if not see to it that you have all you need to get back and then make a factory reset of both router and modem.
Read the documentation carefully as some should be turned off others turned on when you do that.
I suggest this as you say it was after moving large files
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby welders4linux on Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:09 am

Thanks again for the reply,

I turned off both the router (which is actually being used more as a gateway) and the cable modem for about an hour.

Same problems occurred, I went out and acquired a new cable, alas it did not fix the problem either. I Then took the plunge and reset the router..Still having the same sort of problems HOWEVER: the frequency of the "switching" on/off
seems to have decreased.

Instead of 10 times a minute its more like 2 or 3.

I also have noticed that the two machines attached to the router one with mint and the other with "that other OS". seem to be contacting each other as both corresponding led's flicker together from time to time. They have no reason to do so as I have never attempted to configure a network.

wondering outloud if it could be a driver on the mint side?
welders4linux
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:43 am

Did you stumble on the submit button? :) I removed the double post. I have to think about this for a while. This can be hardware as well as software and I have actually never even heard of such behavior. And of course it may be totally unrelated to your recent download - or not....
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby welders4linux on Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:02 pm

re submit button: Actually I was using the machine with the problems...Internet connection must have dropped around that time...thank you for removing excess posts.

Latest News: reset router again. I normally use the ip for the router as:

then I allow dhcp 3 users which normally puts my machines @
192.168.1.216 and 192.168.1.217

All I did was allow the Router(gateway) to use its factory setting
192.168.1.100 and allow the DHCP to start at 192.168.1.215

Now both machines seem to be working alright, although on the desktop of mint when I mousover the network Icon it reads "manual network configuration" and when I right click on the icon the enable Netoworking icon is checked...Although I do not have the option to check the network information.....At this point Im going to follow the age old advice If it isn't broke, dont fix ;o)

I am now pondering the idea that there is indeed some sort of problem with the onboard network interface with the laptop. On the Router side I still see the leds for the Laptop side (mint) to do various things, which at this point does not seem to interfer with my internet connection.

I can only hope this works when start up the machine tommorow!

I am egarly awaiting the new mac products and intend to replace both machines at some point. I will (if you can believe it) set up linux under OSX or some other configuration with the new macs.

If there was MUCH more support for printing and scanning I would think about going full time with linux.

thanks again for you help, Ill post an update if the network goes down tommorow. [/quote]
welders4linux
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions