not sure if this is a newb question...my mouse is erratic

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tnewman72

not sure if this is a newb question...my mouse is erratic

Post by tnewman72 »

ive tried wireless and several wired mice and they all exhibit the same problem.

ive turned off compiz and effects and it makes no difference.

the mouse basically moves around but "stutters" every few seconds.

for instance, if i move the mouse it gets about half way and stops...so i have to remove it again to finish getting the cursor to where i want it.

this happens constantly, in every application, even when no apps are open...it occurs even when i use the scroll wheel.

its driving me nuts in fact.

is this something known?..id love to get my Os back to how it was. i had about 3 months of flawless performance with gnome 64 bit.

i installed the kde version and thats when it started happening..i thought it was kde so i reinstalled gnome again.

but the problem persists. it doesnt occur in windows at all.

any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BILL777

Re: not sure if this is a newb question...my mouse is erratic

Post by BILL777 »

I get this !

I think it's a herdware problem. (Perhaps Windows power management driver is catching it better?)

I'm using a fairly new Acer Aspire 6930, but the power plug could fit better.

I've given all the connectors a good clean,
(& tightened up the power plug with a bit a aluminium scrim from one of those tea-light candles - an at your own risk thing ! )
and I haven't had it happen for a while
(unless I rest my hand on the touch pad in thought. :roll: Could that be it? You can turn a touchpad off in Mint if you don't need it).

Loose connectors can be anywhere, inside or out !

The simple things are often most puzzling. There must be a joke in there, some where ? :D

Best of luck !
tnewman72

Post by tnewman72 »

thanks for the reply but it cant be hardware as ive eliminated it from my windows dual boot option.

and tried different types of hardware within the linux OS.

even when typing- the characters appear to lag, and then catch up.

i hope someone can help get it fixed.
beefstu

Post by beefstu »

Sounds like it could possibly be a graphics driver problem, I tried to install eeebuntu on a friends eeepc but because of Intel's poor 555GMA support it was awful and similar to what you are describing.

Can you post the output of

Code: Select all

lspci
and

Code: Select all

inxi -G
here? May give a clue to help.
tnewman72

Post by tnewman72 »

i will do so..im using win7 now as it drove me nuts.

the pc i have has loads of graphics power....

a 512mb dedicated radeon mobility hd4570 with hyper memory up to 2gb...and 4gb ram dual core cpu...

ill boot up into mint and run the commands.
viridis

Re: not sure if this is a newb question...my mouse is errati

Post by viridis »

My problem seems the same, I have a Labtec Desktop 1200 (keyboard+mouse) and my pointer appears to be drunk!!! :shock: sometimes I disconnect the batteries and reconnect them and it returns to proper behaviour... for a while. Is there any driver we may install? Labtec/Logitech have told me they have no linux drivers at all :-(
BILL777

Re: not sure if this is a newb question...my mouse is errati

Post by BILL777 »

SOLVED for me at least:

Just to be more clear: I found this was happening when I rested my hand on the laptop touchpad. :mrgreen:

My ACER allows me to isolate the touchpad by ........ Fn F7 ........ (a toggle)
You have to find what works for your machine.

This solves the problem, for me.

Return to “Beginner Questions”