Dualboot and partions?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Postby linuxviolin on Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:59 pm

mogwai wrote:But I manage to come to step 6 out of 7 in cassandra and then I wait 30 minuts and nothing happens

Does the computer freeze? Do you still have access to the keyboard, the mouse?

Steps 6 and 7 are the last configuration steps before the installation itself (define the user and summary before install).
So it's when you click on install that "nothing happens"?

Are you sure of your CD? Maybe a burning problem...

I point out just a small hint to you: at http://www.linuxmint.com/download.html you can see

Installation Notes:
- do not install anything and keep your session in English if you're planning to install. You can always change the language once the system is installed (this is due to a problem in the installer).

Maybe this is your problem.......
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

I ran out of disk space with 4 GB /

Postby crusti on Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:17 am

Just FYI, I recently installed Cassandra following scorp123's excellent advice about partitioning style ( http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=358 ), and I used my current install as a guide to determine how big to make the partitions on this other computer. I allowed 2.5 GB for / and 3.5 GB for /usr.

After I had nearly installed everything and added other software that I wanted (using synaptic) I attempted to log in and got the error that I couldn't log in because there was no space left on the device. I had used up my entire / partition. Filled 2.5 GB of / and used 2.0 GB of /usr. I was unable to re-size partitions in-situ so I had to repartition and re-install.

So now I used 4 GB for / and 4 GB for /usr. If that becomes wasteful, I can always add a folder somewhere in / of my own stuff, to use a bit of the spare room. (Not sure what the security-minded would say but I'm the only user, regular home-internet kinda stuff with no web servers).

In my view it's safer to leave a bit of padding for your system, and use up the space later on if you padded too much. Running out of room on / is a big problem. Anyway, others may have input into this idea but it's worth thinking about.

Good luck!

crusti
crusti
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mogwai on Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:34 am

*weee* startet the CD I had burned with 48x and now its installing *strange*

Yesterday it didn't freeze it just loaded all the time. The only thing there was wrong was that it didn't reached step 7 :)
mogwai
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mogwai on Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:04 am

*weeee* I'm now up and running :)

Thx all. especially you Husse for your help :D
mogwai
Level 1
Level 1

Previous

Return to Newbie Questions